Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Questions for CEO in an interview?

I have two, 2nd round of interviews with CEO's of 2 different small companies. I am already done with the technical rounds etc. These positions are for a Software Developer.  I have already been briefed about the company, products etc. What kind of questions should I ask the CEO? I am assuming not technical(eventhough CEOs are highly technical and the company is small) like how did you implement certain feature in that product etc.
What kind of business related questions can I ask? About sales? Customers? Finanace?
I am quite confident about answering thier questions just need some pointers regarding the questions I should and can ask.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Anon
Thursday, July 24, 2003

what's the CEO's background?
why are you hiring a software developer and not outsourcing to India?
Who are the buyers?
Competitors?
Any goodlooking chicks here?
Do you have good salespeople?
What's the goal of this company?
Employee attrition rate?

Thursday, July 24, 2003

Ever been arrested for accounting irregularities?

anon
Thursday, July 24, 2003

How does this company make money?

If you aren't making money now, how soon will you be, and how will you do it?

Chris Tavares
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Where do you get your funding?
What happens when this funding is exhausted?

If it's VC funding, ask about how the VC group is involved in the running of the company.

Lauren B.
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Why did you start this company?
Where do you see this company in the next few years?

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Thursday, July 24, 2003

what percentage of revenues comes from your largest client?

Thursday, July 24, 2003

Do you press charges?

Mister Fancypants
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Thanks guys. Both the companies don't have VCs. One of the company has around 100 paying customers for a product which is built on ASP model. and the other one just has one big customer.
And they are not big enough to outsource the jobs to India and for a fact I know that there are no good looking chicks there :)

Anon
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Ask CEO's where VPs of marketing, engineering and sales came from. Where they from companies you would want to work for, because there is a good chance that your companies will be run in a similliar way

Daniel Shchyokin
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Asking why a company isn't outsourcing isn't because doing so is a good idea (in a huge percentage of cases it most certainly isn't), but rather to gauge if the CEO is reading the Seal Press and is thinking of hopping on the train. If they are seriously considering it, it's best to know at the outset before you waste your time at an organization where they'll try to convince themselves that you're easily disposable.

Anonymizer
Thursday, July 24, 2003

How long have you been out?

Friday, July 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home