Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

text data mining project attractive on resume?

I am on contract for a text data mining project, in terms of technology straight Java, so not so attractive,
but in terms of Algorithms,research AI, pattern recognition,
this project has it all, including experimenting with lot's of algorithms.
When I search for my next position, what do employeers prefer buzzwords (don't have many), or solid core cs knowledge?

Sheldon
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Do people prefer chocolat or vanilla ice cream?

Thursday, July 24, 2003

This depends on what you're trying to get into. If you are doing contract work through consulting firms, the dreaded Preferred Vendor Program will eat all your good technical experience and simply look for acronyms. If someone is going to read your resume (after you burn through the PVP or if you go through another route), advanced scientific and alg. work looks great.

Bottom Line: If you are applying for work at Target | Best Buy | Chase Manhatten, your specific experience won't matter. If you are applying for work at a tech firm [Google, Microsoft, Cisco], its golden.

Just one man's not so humble opinion.

Dustin Alexander
Thursday, July 24, 2003

I'm always impressed by that kind of thing, but I happen to like AI and pattern recognition. To me it shows that the candidate has a logical mind, good problem solving skills, and can really get a sense of what's needed to be done and do it...

A lot of other projects are Slot "A" Tab "B" type projects where you just build the damn thing.

Of course, it also depends on how complete your requirements are, at some level it does become slot a / tab b.

Other people might not be as impressed.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, July 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home