Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

DVD?RW format

Last time I checked, there are at least two formats DVD-RW and DVD+RW, if I remember correctly. I heard that they are not compatible. We are going to purchase a DVD burner. Since the price is stil not very low, we do not want to spend the money on devices which are not compatible with the devices used by the majority in the future.

So which one should we choose?

S.C.
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Sony does a drive that uses all four formats.

My advice is to bet on one format and buy a drive for that. If DVD writer prices follow the pattern of CD writer prices it will be cheaper to switch if you bet badly than to pay the considerable premium for Sony's drive.

Stephen Jones
Thursday, July 24, 2003

dvd-rw is more compatible with existing DVD rom drives and home dvd players. Tha blank media is slightly cheaper.
dvd+rw has some features I can't remember which make it more efficient for handling data.

Dual format drives are now becoming cheaper ( in the UK about 30% more than single format )

If you only want one drive for backup you could buy the cheapest, if you want to record movies for your dvd player or to swap data with friends you might want to consider dual format drives.

Martin Beckett
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Sorry - forgot one item
The rewriteable ie. RW media is generally not compatible with dvd-rom or dvd players. Either in the + or - form.
The above apllies to the write once disks.

Martin Beckett
Thursday, July 24, 2003

I just bought an NEC ND1300 (OEM) for work, it does all eight formats, cost was around $200. I've not used it yet apart from burning CDs (forgot to buy media, it's on order with our custom printing folks) I bought it mostly so I can copy the MSDN DVDs we get just to avoid scratching the commonly used ones (e.g. VS.NET) and let the developers take software home (yes, I have the twice the number of licenses required, since we're MCPs).

Peter Ibbotson
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Factor in the fact that the + standard is supported more widely than the - standaard in Europe and Japan, whereas the opposite is true in the US. Or so I am told :-)

Practical Geezer
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Hit http://www.dvdrhelp.com to help you make your decision... they've got a pile of info on what formats are compatible w/ which home players... which is really the point, isn't it?

Greg Hurlman
Thursday, July 24, 2003

The + formats don't have that annoying lead-in/lead-out, and at least here in Europe is easier and cheaper to get DVD+R media.

Unsigner
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Slashdot recently linked to this article:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=DVD%20Media%20Format%20Compatibility%20Tests&Series=0

where cdrinfo tested lots of formats to determine the most compatible.

Thursday, July 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home