Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

freshgrad: good companies to apply to..why?

Hi. I will be graduating soon from CS dept at public univ, with above average grade.
Any ideas what good companies that you know to apply job for? can you explain what's make that company good to work for?
Of course I will be looking at job boards - but this information might be useful too.

freshtea
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Avoid getting sucked into business programming.  Once you go down that dark path, forever will it dominate your career.

Adam Young
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Any companies suggested here are likely to be big companies, because small ones are, well, small.

I like the small company I work at. I hear a lot of small companies can be very nice.

This is what I did, and I think it succeeded partly because I hit companies that weren't advertising and recruiting. No one I know works at any of the companies that were at local job fairs.

I did a search for 'software' on the local chamber of commerce web site, and went down the list ;) I got a bite before I got out of the A's.

Mike Swieton
Thursday, July 24, 2003

"Any ideas what good companies that you know to apply job for?  Can you explain what's make that company good to work for?"

In this economy, any company that is hiring is a good company to work for. On a more serious note, no I can't do this for you.  You have to do this for us and then we can tell you if your expectations are in-line with reality or not.

I too would like to advise you to stay away from business programming, unfortunately, I cannot simply because the overwhelming majority of professional programmers  (professional as in paid to code) in the United States do this type of work. Companies (potential employers) where you will most likely wind up doing business programming include:

* Most government organizations
* Most large corporations (insurance, financial, manufacturing, airlines, etc.)
* Medium/Small sized corporations (includes just about all types of businesses such as transportation)
* Mom and pop businesses
* Consulting companies
* Staffing firms/brokers

Since you mentioned your grades are above average, you shouldn't rule out a career in academia.

One Programmer's Opinion
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Any company where the people in the type of position you are after seem happy to work.

Just me (Sir to you)
Thursday, July 24, 2003

I second "One Programmer's Opinion" of "any company that is hiring".

I'd add, any company that's hiring, who'll hire you!

Don't be picky until you know you can be :)

Jack of all
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Also, avoid the academia.

They are a bunch of morons.

Krane
Thursday, July 24, 2003

I would start off with a large, successful well known company like Microsoft, Fed-Ex Etc.  You'll learn about software development practices for large scale projects even if you're just working on a small cog in that large project.  Everyone who looks at your resume will know the company that you've worked for.  If it's a company like Microsoft with a difficult interview process it's another boost to your resume, plus you'll work with other really smart people. 

Big successful companies are always hiring smart people right out of college and have good recruiting programs.  The best bet is to intern with one of these companies first.

chris
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Well, I didn't know this, but until I've worked at a few, I didn't realize the most successful ones have a reputation for working harder than everyone else (you learn more by working longer hours and tighter deadlines). They probably charge for the premium, so they probably are premium priced. They have a really high expectation of you and they believe you are a lot more than you realize (dumb, can become smarter, much smarter, can become more experienced, much more experienced, can become more successful, much more successful). You are usually expected to do (or want to do) what other companies won't ask you or let you do. What do you think?

Li-fan Chen
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Investment Banks, trading firms, hedge funds, exchanges.

Thursday, July 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home