Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

HTML Menu/Combo box problem!

Hi All,

Strange problem I have!

Have a look at http://www.phpkid.org/select_demo.htm

If you see one of the items, is having pretty long name and combo box can not display it.

In this case, it should show a balloon tip kind of yellow box and show complete value. It's not doing so.

Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Regards,
JD
Regards,
JD

JD
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

>>>
In this case, it should show a balloon tip kind of yellow box and show complete value. It's not doing so.
<<<

Why should it do that?  Normally, in HTML listboxes are as wide as the content contained within them.  You're using CSS to size the box but their is no defined behaviour for what happens when you do that.

Almost Anonymous
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

It shows up as "Really longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggg value" in my browser.  The other thought is using the "alt" tag.  Like <option value="Really longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggg value" alt="Really longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggg value">.  I think...

shiggins
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Which browser you are using shiggins?
And also, I already tried using ALT, it doesn't work.

And 'anonymous', my condition is that I can not allow drop down box to be more than certain size. But there might be one or two value which is really long. So I was wondering if there are any work arounds.

JD

JD
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I am using Mozilla Firebird.  I see what you mean about ALT not working.  I can't think of any other work around right now.  I tried adding <br> in the <option> text but that didn't work either.  If I think of anything I'll let you know.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

shiggins
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Try using TITLE instead of ALT

eg

<OPTION TITLE="really long value" VALUE="really long value">Really Long..</OPTION>

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Hi Mathew,

I tried, it didn't work! :(
JD

JD
Thursday, July 24, 2003

remove
<snip>
style="width:20%"
</snip>

from
  <select name="grp" id="grp" style="width:20%">

This should work...
BTW, this forum is not meant for such kind of disucssions if i am not wrong.

bsa
Thursday, July 24, 2003

To quote Anonymizer:

"Yes, please take your questions elsewhere. This area is reserved for disgruntled employees, and unemployed individuals asking "Should I do a followup call?". We like to call this place the "Disgruntled and Disaffected Outsiders Club". Quit bugging us!"

shiggins
Thursday, July 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home