Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Calendar on weblogs

Since almost anything one searches is contextual, what is the idea behind having this on a weblog.

In case of someone who updates their weblog everyday, again you are going to use a search engine….or am I missing something?

Thoughts...

Prakash S
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I don't understand the question.

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I agree.  And when I come to a new weblog that seems interesting, I want to be able to go throught the archives quickly.  It's easiest to do that when the archives are reached via links to all monthly content.  Calendars just get in the way of that.

Patrick Lioi
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I think Prakash is asking, "Why include a calendar with links to past entries on a weblog?"

I can answer this one:  Someone found my online journal recently, and after getting to know me a bit, began reading through my archives.  It was useful to her to be able to re-read the journal chronologically.

It's certainly useful have a chronological archive of at least the past month's worth of entries, so that visitors who haven't been to the site in awhile can catch up chronologically.

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Chronological archives are required of a weblog, but IMO calendars take up way too much screenspace for the minimal functionality they offer. Movable Type automatically creates monthly archive pages which should meet the needs of most people for chronological browsing.

Chris Winters
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

The calendar in weblogs is completely lame.

pb
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

AFAIK, it is the worst interface one could possibly invent that still looks "useful" to the uninitiated.  I can only remember it being on those Userland weblogs.

I'm assuming you're talking about those calendars where you have to aim the mouse at tiny numbers, and navigate only sequentially one-at-a-time.

Anonymous
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Anonymous got it exactly right. It's the worst possible interface for browsing through archives... not only do you have to click on tiny dates one at a time, but you have to remember what dates you've seen and find the previous/next one yourself.

We actually have this feature in CityDesk 2, pressured by a customer who paid for the development costs for us to put it in, and I'm so embarrassed by the lameness of this feature that it is undocumented and unsupported.

Joel Spolsky
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Joel - Hilarious. Of course, you know that now that you've said it, someone will pressure you to tell them how to do it.

My guess is that the calender serves two purposes.

1. The designer thought people would actually remember what day what was posted and it would be a useful way to find the article you wanted quickly.

2. It rewards weblogs that are updated more frequently because at a glance you know how many days out of the month something new was posted, so a busy weblog looks even busier.

Of course, neither of the above is really important, but I guess it does serve one other purpose:

2a. It takes up space on the page to make an otherwise sparse and boring concept - chronological posting of things - seem more interesting and busy. "More Sidebars!"

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I think the little calendars are harmless. The space they take up wouldn't have been used for anything else: they live in the sidebars, and no self-respecting blogger would do away with a sidebar. And they look kinda neat. OK, so you wouldn't actually want to *use* them for anything much, but so what?

Gareth McCaughan
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

It's useful when dates have meaning, like a newspaper. A local paper has a transportation column on Mondays, so if it had a date-based mechanism (it doesn't, but some newspapers used to. hey, they're mostly gone now), I could go through monday.
Philip Greenspun claimed at first he'd do something like 'new ideas' on Tuedsay and 'positive things' on Friday, or something like that; if he'd stuck with it, you could go through the 'new ideas' category by going through tuesdays.

mb
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Eric's a perceptive guy, and I'd enjoy reading his observations, but then he springs something like this on us:
http://software.ericsink.com/2003.html

Then there's Lambda the Ultimate.  It's even worse because these guys are hosting on agonizingly slow Userland servers.  Yes, they have some form of archives, but it's not complete; you either have to click on tiny calendar symbols or search.  These are the guys making little cutting remarks about Don Box for being ignorant.
http://lambda.weblogs.com/

Anonymous
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Thanks guys.

Prakash S
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

They're useful for weblogs that aren't posted to that often to see when the last post was.    I suppose a list style archive would acheive the same effect though. 

a different anon
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Big calendars are the answer: http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/08/

pete
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home