Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Social Engineering

Hi,
How do you use social engineering to get postive benefit out of it so that everyone is happy? Especially where in computer field it means a lot where everyone is in their own world.

Easy
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Well, you just call up pretending to be Joe User, get his password, take down the network, and then everyone is happy because they get the day off.

Fred2000
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I wouldn't call it social engineering, but more an intuitive 'socialness'.

It sounds manipulative but for me it's automatic: I want to be everybody's friend.  So if I'm in a situation where I want something in a company, or need to do some work with someone, I am constantly in a loop where in conversations I feed back things to them that will reassure them that I'm similar to them.  It sounds forced but I do it with everybody, partly because I like to get along well with everybody I meet.  This doesn't help sometimes, because being their friend is counterproductive.  But generally, just being helpful, kind, generous, and perceptive about what it is like to be them in their current situation works wonders.

Konrad
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Where are you from Easy?

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I really like that  answer.
More, I am looking in the line of , good examples, .. (where bad one is about calling and asking for password to install something at midnight..)

Easy
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home