Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Googleholes

I think enough people have already rubbished the Googleholes article on Slate. Someone even said there is no such thing. Shame, then, that, as I pointed out here many moons ago, you still can't search for ".net" or "/.".

Holes big enough to bury 'em in
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Hah, I once wrote to Google about problems with searching for web pages about Microsoft's .NET initiative.  Google replied with a message about how to search for domains that end in .net.

J. D. Trollinger
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Yeah .. try searching for something to do with COM :P That doesn't work either .. have to try and get in through 'automation'.

jedidjab79
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

You just have to type '+com'.
Of course, you can't expect useful results.
But you can't blame Google for Microsoft brands.

GP
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

You think that's hard, try searching for info on 80s band "The The"

Matthew Lock
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Actually, searching on "The The" brings up their official homepage with the first hit!

I've had the same frustrations as others when searching for COM and .NET.  You'd think they could properly handle that.  I can't imagine that anyone really ever intends to search for "com" meaning the end of a .com address (same for .net).

But, that said, count me OUT of the people bashing Google.  I love it.  The Google toolbar is the single greatest invention in the web era.  I won't leave IE for the other browsers simply because the toolbar isn't on those browsers yet (at least not the real one).

David
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Google Hacks, if you can afford it (its an OReilly book) , tells you how to do these things.. of course, I use it more often for the special syntaxes..

Prefixing stop words (the, of etc) with a + works.. One thing I didnt know was that you can quote it (so that Google looks for the entire phrase, and do the + sign on the phrase. ie: "+The +The".. by the way, another thing that I read (and had realized before) was that Google is case insensitive.

As for ".NET" or "com", well.. I can't figure that one out either :) but if its any consolation, at least the targeted advertisment for "+.net" was spot on :)

Just search around for the special syntaxes or buy the book. Its not as immediately useful as some other books, but it pays off.. (no, I am not associated with either Google or OReilly, just a satisfied customer)

deja vu
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

While it's not "official", there is a great Google toolbar for Firebird. If that's your top reason to stick with IE, better fall back to reason #2  :)

Zahid
Thursday, July 24, 2003

If I want to look for apples that grow on trees, I would enter

<apples>, not <apple>

Or

<apples (growing OR eating)>

There are so many ways in which I could make my search querry more efficient... I don't think it's a googlehole.

So that example is rigged.

Tatiana Racheva
Friday, July 25, 2003

The slate author is paid by MSN.  MSN is a hopeful competitor.  nuff said. Fucking politics.

fddi cent
Wednesday, August 06, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home