Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Business Cards

For those in small software business or just recently started up, did you already get yourself some business cards?  And what title did you put on them?  Or did you get multiple types with varying titles?

sedwo
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Yes, get business cards.
No, do not get multiple titles.

Business cards are one way that customers remember you and get information on how to contact you.  DO NOT print them yourself, that reeks of cheapness.  Get it done right, hell get it 'designed' right, by a professional.  Then go to a professional printer to make sure they stay looking right.

As for titles, I've used 'President', 'Owner', and 'Principle' in the past.  President probably works best.....

Gregor Brandt
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

"G. W. Brandt, President."

Hmm...

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Instead of 'Owner' or 'President', right now I mostly use 'Director of Business Development' .

Too much you think ?

sedwo
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

That's just on my email signature though.  No business cards yet.

sedwo
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I think Director of Business Development is the best.

I use on the cards for my folks' business.

It is senior enough to reassure the person you are talking to.

It is also open ended enough to allow a whole range of subjects/areas to be covered.

I always worry/cringe when I see guys in a one or two man outfit calling themselves President.

Tapiwa
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Why not call yourself president when you're a small company? "Owner" sounds lame.

Remember: Nobody knows you're a dog.

Fred2000
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

"I always worry/cringe when I see guys in a one or two man outfit calling themselves President."

- must ahve something to do with tax issues..

Prakash S
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Maybe only partially related, but I've found a book called "Here's My Card" by Bob Popyk to be a great guide to using your business card effectively.

Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/ht2x

MadMan
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Sometimes it's better to just have what you do, rather than some pretend title.

If your customers are in large companies, they know your "VP" title is an empty one, and what they actually want is your expertise.

Joe Bloggs. NET programming, is fine.

Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Yes have cards.
Yes have mutliple titles:

President & CEO - I only use these when I first meet with a prospective client in a formal meeting environment.  Most of my clients are large firms and they generally expect this sort of thing.  Whatever floats their boat, I guess.

Software Consultant - Hand these out to other developers.  I often need sub-contractors and I don't want to come off as an ass.

A third card that has no title or name.  It simply lists the services we provide.  I give a stack of these to all my contractors, friends and associates, in the hopes tha they pass them along.  Which they usually do.

I had a corporate image package put together by a professional graphic artist.  It only cost about $1000, but was worth every cent.  I'd highly recommend this approach (if you can find someone good, of course!).

canuck
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I write CEO and Founder

Evgeny /Javadesk/
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

In some companies, everybody has the same job title: Associate.

Alternatively, just have *no* job title.

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I like the no job title idea.

What do you want to accomplish with the card? Will anyone you haven't met had one? If you give them primarily to people you meet, they'll know who you are, and they'll just need a small memory jogger & your contact info.

MadMan - can you give us an overview of what's in the book? Amazon didn't have a good summary.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Im head man of a 3 man band, I use "Computer Programmer" as my title.
Sounds better than "Egomaniac" and is more honest than "Beloved By All"

<g> frankly any client who requires me to call myself a president, founder, ceo or head pineapple before they will trust me is, in my experiience, going to be an absolute PITA as a client.

I prefer pragmatic clients over pretentious ones.

FullNameRequired
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

If "President" is too grandiose (and I agree that it is), "Director" is impressive yet factual.

Fernanda Stickpot
Thursday, July 24, 2003

Director makes me think of Nazis and the Ghestapo. Director of ____ might be better. But just Herr Director makes me think you wear a monacle and carry around a whip.

www.marktaw.com
Thursday, July 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home