ranking of wright state university ?

cs dept?

anon
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Did you try http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/index.jsp

?

Matt H.
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

It's the dominant engineering and CS school here in SW Ohio. A big state school. I've known LOTS of people go through there. Purportedly excellent reputation.

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I would have to disagree.  At least in 1995, when I graduated high school, the engineering school to go to in SW Ohio was the University of Cincinnati. 

I had some friends that went to U of Dayton as well as Case Western, and at least in computer eng. I felt the UC program was just as good, if not better. 

A word of warning. When I was at UC they were in the process of adding the comp sci program in with the comp eng, and ee.  There was a noticable difference in the quality of faculty and students between the engineers and comp sci.  There was concern on the part of the engineering faculty over this, but I am not sure if it has been fixed.

Adam
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I'd agree -- UC is a far better school. I graduated there in 1994 from the CS department, back when it was part an offshoot of the Math dept. in the A&S school. Those were the days (!!!) Graduated into the biggest tech boom the world's ever see. Wish we had those days back.

Some time about 6 years back, the CS department moved to the Engineering college. I think that was a good move for them. The academic standards are much higher in the Engineering college than they are in the Arts & Sciences college, and I believe that your value per tuition dollar would be much better in the Engineering school. 

Way back in those dark ages, UC's Engineering school was very highly rated. I can't say where they stand at the moment.

If I had a choice between Wright State and UC, I think I'd go UC again -- mind you, I've got nothing to back this up, it's just a personal opinion. I've got a job, and Write state's simply too far away for me to keep my job and go to school. U.C's main campus is only about 20 minutes my office.  I'm headed back for my masters next year (Fall 2004, it's too late to get enrolled for this fall). I'll post back and let you know what I think of the CS dept. If you're a U.S. citizen, and don't mind being a TA (Teaching Assistant) for a few hours a week, they've got a program where tuition costs nothing for the CS Masters. That's right. Absolutely nothing. Nada. Zilch. The big zero. That's kind of hard to pass up. Be sure to investigate those (and any) types of programs wherever you decide to go.

Sgt. Sausage
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I have a friend who is graduating from Wright State and is not too happy about the class/teachers there.  I am sure he would not recommend going there.  If you are looking in Ohio, might I recommend my alma mater Miami University (no not in florida).  I was rather happy with their program and offerings.

Matt Watson
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Well, there's my credibility shot to hell on this board. :-)

My observations are distantly anecdotal. I've known several CS and computer engineering graduates from WSU who have done well for themselves.  One dude I used to work with received a job offer from Intel in Santa Clara after graduation from WSU but wound up working at Battelle Labs in Columbus - years ago. 

WSU used to have a reputation similar to a junior college, but it's come a long way.  Perhaps I am more influenced by the delta improvement they've achieved than their absolute quality.

One "little" problem with the technology job market in this area is that WSU, UC, Miami, Dayton all grind out a ton of engineering and computer science graduates every year, which depresses the supply of entry level jobs in the region.

A second problem is that companies in this area don't "do" technology competently and there are no good primary technology companies in the region.  The legacy of the Wright Brothers is dead, buried, kaput. So many regional companies suck at innovation, which means that even the few brainwork type sciences jobs remaining leave the area continually.

Bored Bystander
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home