Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Simple Guide to A-List Bloggers...

If any of you have spent time reading some of these guys, you'll find some of these observations humrous (with more than a hint of truth).

http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/blogparody.htm

Crimson
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I'd just like to say that is an absolute winner.

Konrad
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Good descriptions. I kinda wished Don Box was in there:

XML, more XML, Did I ever tell you about XML, XML will save you, look at this good use of XML...

trollbooth
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Sadly, I know almost none of those people.  I did recognize Cory Doctorow, and I think I saw Dave Weiner mentioned here on JOS.

Personally, I don't care for the whole blogging scene.  It's like a big circle jerk sometimes.

Steve Barbour
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

"Personally, I don't care for the whole blogging scene.  It's like a big circle jerk sometimes."

Way to ridiculously generalize. There are MANY different kinds of bloggers, blogging in many different kinds of ways. The only similarity between Chris Brumme and a 14-year old girl telling us about the minutae of her life is that it's all (1) HTML, and (2) chronological. That's it.

Anybody who thinks there's no value in ANY blogs ANYWHERE hasn't even remotely looked at what's out there. They're probably basing their opinion of some McMagazine or McPaper article about blogging.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Brad, do you realize that the final two sentences in your post is an overgeneralization?  Just because Steve doesn't like blogs doesn't mean he finds "no value in ANY blog ANYWHERE," and it certainly doesn't mean he's basing his opinion on some "McMagazine or McPaper," whatever that means (I don't quite see the link between research and an ubiquitous fast-food restaurant).

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Well considering I'm posting this on Joel's discussion board, I do find find some value in some blogs.  I just don't like the "scene".

I've actually never run across any of the 14 y/o girl type weblogs, but I can't imagine I'd find anything of redeeming value in them.

And actually, there's not a whole lot of difference between Chris Brumme telling us the minutae of his life and anybody else telling us the minutae of theirs (I realize that cbrumme doesn't really delve into minutae, but the point stands).  If it's somebody I know I might be interested, otherwise it's really the old prototypical "home page - here are pictures of my cats" thing with more updates.

Anyway, they're just web pages.  Some good, some bad, some meh. They're not revolutionary, they're merely ubiquitous.

Steve Barbour
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home