Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ESPN redesign s-l-o-w

There was a moderate amount of noise generated when ESPN redesigned to a CSS-based layout. Does anyone else find the site sluggish and confusing?

pb
Monday, July 21, 2003

Weird spot to find this, but yes, it is slow.  I thought it was just me.

1/4 Ain't Bad
Monday, July 21, 2003

Oh my -  20-30 seconds to load some pages....

DJ
Monday, July 21, 2003

I don't see how CSS would significantly slow down the site.  Are ESPN's servers just overloaded?

On closer inspection, I'm pointing my finger at JavaScript.  The main page for the British Open, which contains 3 KB of raw text, contains 59 KB of HTML and JavaScript.  It only references one CSS file, which is only 12 KB, which isn't particularly large for a CSS file.

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Monday, July 21, 2003

That's all probably miniscule compared to the images... It's probably render time. Some poorly cached server side app serving up pages.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

The more I think about it the more these redesigns come with some sort of change in management, or some other change that would cause them to re-architect the site in some bizarre way. If they weren't happy about the UI, they probably weren't happy about some other things as well.

So they probably mucked around with a lot more than the UI, and that's why the site is so slow.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

ESPN's site got much faster when they switched to CSS. It used to take forever to render on my 3COM Audrey.

However, they have only redesigned the home page in CSS. The rest is still the crappy slow tables.

shabob
Monday, July 21, 2003

I don't normally visit ESPN but if it used to be slower than it is right now, I don't know why anyone would ever have gone there.

I checked out espn.com after reading the original post here and it was so slow it is essentially unusable for me.

Maybe their servers are under heavy load, or something is screwy with the networking infrastructure at their hosting site, but it is REALLY slow right now.

Mister Fancypants
Monday, July 21, 2003

As above,

There's no reason a CSS design should or would be slower - it should lead to less stuff being sent to the client. Perhaps they're specifying background images or fixed images (eg. logos) in the CSS too, which might be a bit slower (ie. implementations aren't tuned for images specified via CSS).

Walter Rumsby
Monday, July 21, 2003

Other reasons for ESPN being slow... I keeping hitting F5 in anticipation of the news that the TWolves will swap Terrell Brandon's contract for Eddie Jones. :)

Walter Rumsby
Monday, July 21, 2003

It looks like the main page is pulling images and flash files from 9 different sites... If any one of those were heavily loaded wouldn't that slow the whole page down?

Sports fan
Monday, July 21, 2003

Sports Fan - good point. Lots of ads that need to load before the page renders.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

What do you all refer to with espn?

Ignore my ignorance
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

http://espn.go.com

Hmm, I haven't been paying much attention to this Kobe Bryant situation - but it seems it's getting more serious. Is it getting a lot of general coverage in the US? This could be driving traffic to the site.

Walter Rumsby
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Depends on the browser.  For me the front page opens in ~3seconds in Mozilla 1.4 and 20+ in IE 6.  The NBA specific page is ~3seconds on both.

tekumse
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

The site seems much faster today, so in retrospect, it looks like the slowdown was a temporary server overload rather than a problem with CSS or other factors of its redesign.

The Pedant, Brent P. Newhall
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home