Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Burnout Question

Ok, with all the burnout questions on the board I had to post.

I just "retired" from the software industry to start my own insurance agency, a) because I think there is a lot of money in it. b) because sales is completely different from software. c) because the industry's outlook is so bleak

I am just wondering if anyone here has done something si,iliar, i.e. not moved to qa or pm but just left the industry, not neccessarily for sales but just something else.

What industry/job/adventure did you eave for?

Why did you do it?

Was it successful?

did you come back to software?

please share!

Daniel Shchyokin
Monday, July 21, 2003

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=58191&ixReplies=22

This was just recently discussed here.  Although, I didn't see too many people who had done what you are doing.  I think the fact that you recognized the need for a change is great.

shiggins
Monday, July 21, 2003

I left the IT industry for an investment firm but I program more now than I used to. It wasn't a matter of burnout but rather of a dried up market. There weren't any projects opening up.

Tom Vu
Monday, July 21, 2003

How's the insurance business for you?

Fred2000
Monday, July 21, 2003

Actually picking up Fred, the referrals are starting to come in, and I get to program a little too ... but only stuff I want/need
for instance I have a site for renters insurance called sfrentersinsurance.com

Daniel Shchyokin
Monday, July 21, 2003

I'm applying to nursing school. I've gotten burned out on IT for a variety of reasons.

Interestingly, as I'm learning more about the opportunities in nursing, there is a whole specialty area called "Nurse Informatics."  Medical software specialization and clinical trials work. I may end up there.

Lauren B.
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home