Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

NASA+graphical software

Hi all! I loking for: what software NASA use for work with their photos??????

Krowa
Monday, July 21, 2003

They take pictures of many different kind of things and need all sorts of data from these pictures. Space. Air. Land. Microscopic. Galactic. They use many software, probably many custom, depending on their needs. What are you asking?

Li-fan Chen
Monday, July 21, 2003

Yes precisely, I'm asking about space photos.

Krowa
Monday, July 21, 2003

...galactic too.

Krowa
Monday, July 21, 2003

You mean the pretty ones? Ahhh.. actually regardless of the software they use, artists are commissioned to render these pictures pretty (from boring). That means mapping the various spectrums to actual visible light in a way that's pleasing. Or at least that's how I understand it.

Li-fan Chen
Monday, July 21, 2003

Our company logo is party composed of an image of Andromeda.  I've had excellend results taking a black and white image into Photoshop and manipulating it there.  I've added layers of color, touched up the photo to enhance certain details that get lost in long exposures, and generally enhanced the photo.

One could probably do the same with GIMP, though I haven't used it for quite a while now.  You might get more knowledgeable replies on an astronomy board.  Try Space.com or Astronomy.com.

Photoshop
Monday, July 21, 2003

Li-fan is absolutely right. A recent photo of the Earth from really far away with Jupiter nearby got slashdotted... The picture was color-enhanced, and they actually ADDED the moon in becuase it wasn't visible.

There's a comprimise apparently between making the bright things visible and the dim things... Similar to dark photography in everyday life. Do you make the faint stars visible and wash out the Earth, or do you make the Earth pretty and not see any stars?

We still don't know if you're talking about post-processing the photos for publication, in which case they probably use photoshop like the rest of the world, or the software used to take the photos and beam them back to earth for scientific purposes and whatnot.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

All astromony phot0s are basically taken in black and white. To get the different colors a varity of filters are used for various wavelengths (a lot are not visible to the naked eye)

Then teh multiple exposures are combined with artifical but usually logical (ie more energy = red, less = blue) colours. 

I believe most of the processing is done in photoshop. But they might have more specialized software.

DJ
Monday, July 21, 2003

One of the reasons the moon was added in is because outside of the earth's atmosphere you loose nearly all of the convenient scattering effect.  That's why when there's something bright in a photo taken from on board the space shuttle you very rarely see any stars.  The moon, in this case, was dim enough and didn't have any scattering to enhance it, so it simply didn't register (actually its there if you reverse the pixels on the original photo and look, but its very very faint).

Photoshop
Monday, July 21, 2003

Krowa
Tuesday, July 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home