Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Microsoft Schedule +

I have seen a very old discussion on this board about time management tools.

What is your opinion about Microsoft Schedule Plus?

It is an older, but excellent program that Microsoft has abandoned in favor of Outlook. However, it is better at planning than Outlook.

If you have any version of MS Office, just search for the SCHDPL32.EXE file. That is a complete version of Schedule Plus, so you already have it.

It has 2 excellent features I need:

1. Prioritised TO-DO list, with projects support.

You can define projects, and each project has it's separate TO-DO list.

2. Monthly / Weekly / daily planner.

I know Outlook does these things too, but Schedule Plus is a lot more intuitive, simpler, and very clear.

Clark
Monday, July 21, 2003

I remember Schedule+ fondly, but alas, I can't find it. Perhaps it's no longer installed with Office XP?

Nate Silva
Monday, July 21, 2003

I looked on my machine and version 7.5 of Schedule+ comes with Office 2000.

The only problem is that it requires a connection to an Exchange server (which I don't have).

RocketJeff
Monday, July 21, 2003

Let me correct my post. It's asking me for my exchange server every time I start it, but it will let me use the program.

Very annoying, but it looks workable.

RocketJeff
Monday, July 21, 2003

When I run it from the CD:\OFFICE directory it runs, when I copy it out it says it needs a DLL, but won't tell me which one... I copy it to the directory I installed MS Office in (just word & excel) and it tells me th esame thing...

I ran a dependancy scanner on it and it didn't tell me it needs any DLL's I see in the folder it's in, just some standard ones... can anyone figure this out?

I have an Office97 and it has Schedule Plus 7.5 for Windows 95.

I think I'll need to run another dependancy scanner on it...

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

... and if anyone can find SCHDPLUS.HLP ...

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

Folks, I just searched for it (I'm using Office XP) and vóila... it's there! I though have an (almost) full install but anyway it's possible to choose Schedule Plus install when installing Office.

Enjoy
Monday, July 21, 2003

Wow thanks. It was an option under Outlook... Deselect the Outlook files, select the Schedule+ Support files and there it is. I don't think it creates a shortcut or installs help, but it works. Just go into the MS Office folder & create your own shortcut.

THANKS.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

This program is neat.. You can even publish your schedule as a primitive HTML document. The To-Do list does pretty much everything I need it to do... It's not quite Joel's "painless software schedules" Excel, or MS Project, but it works very nicely.

I only wish I knew what DLL's it needed, because if I did, I could carry it around on a floppy, including the save file... Oh well. I guess for universal access I'd have to go web enabld anyway.

GREAT FIND!

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

MS Project is a lot of things, but "painless" isn't one of them. :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Brad... I was toying with Joel's Painless Software Excel method and kept saying things like

"I wish it knew about weekends... Oh wait, MS Project does. I wish it knew about 8 hour days... Oh wait, MS Project does. I wish I could assign to people to this task... etc."

It's a pain in the butt to use, but it really does get some things right.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home