Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

OS Quark.. Scribus?

Joel mentioned there were no Open Source alternatives to Quark. I recently heard about Scibus and downloaded it and set it up, looks pretty good.

http://web2.altmuehlnet.de/fschmid/

Darryl
Saturday, July 19, 2003

Does it have perfect fidelity importing and exporting Quark files?

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Saturday, July 19, 2003

It would take the OSS community quite a bit of man power to replicate the commercial success of Quark. Not saying it's impossible to write something helpful, but you are talking about a multi billion dollar yearly industry here.

Li-fan Chen
Saturday, July 19, 2003

Let's see...

Version 1.0 - sure sign of maturity
Documentation - typical open source fare
Obligatory screenshots in ugly Linux gui - http://home.comcast.net/~scribusdocs/scriscreen.html  served up from a home user isp account.  That certainly is impressive.  And as is typical of plain open source websites they have the html and css images at the bottom that tells your their code is 100% compliant with some standard.  That is more important than having a good product you know.

Looks like this is ready to topple Quark

Good Grief!
Saturday, July 19, 2003

The issue isn't competing with Quark - the issue is providing Quarklike capabilities to people on Linux.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, July 20, 2003

The point about Quark is that it is the most accurate for printing. Plenty of programs provide Quark like capabilities.

Quark is also one of the most user-unfriendly applications around.

A Quark replacement is not that useful; you're talking about a very specialiized client base. What Linux really lacks is a good Open Source vector drawing program.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, July 20, 2003

I've just started using Scribus, but it is the only software that I have found that can do real DTP without the cash layout. And if you need a way to produce advanced PDF forms, it's either all-out Adobe Acrobat or Scribus. I made my notebook dual-boot just so I could use it.

-Joshua <><

Joshua Paine
Monday, July 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home