Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Starting Up?

In the phrase 'Windows Is Starting Up...', isn't 'Up' a useless adverb.  You wouldn't say 'Windows Is Starting Down...', would you?  I'm an advocate of 'Windows Is Starting...'.  Software Engineers aren't the most adept at English.  Then again, neither am I.

Picky Picky
Saturday, July 19, 2003

You start up your engine and then you shut it down.
It's been this way for decades.
You can also start your engine, but you can't shut it.

Mechanic
Saturday, July 19, 2003

The phrases are different, really. "Start up" vs. "shut down", and "start" vs. "stop".

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Saturday, July 19, 2003

"Start up" is a good noun.  "Wait till startup."

But "start" is not.  "Wait till start."

anon
Saturday, July 19, 2003

Besides, they have to tie it in to their awful "Start Me Up" campaign of a while back.  Honestly, I don't think this is nearly as annoying as the fact that Windows 2000 has not one, not two, but *three entire screens* devoted to informing you of the astonishing fact that Windows is, in fact, starting up.

Sam Livingston-Gray
Saturday, July 19, 2003

...It's almost like they had a bunch of 4-year-olds doing usability testing:  "Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?"

Sam Livingston-Gray
Saturday, July 19, 2003

If you advocate "Windows is Starting", do you also advocate "Windows is Shutting"

???

Oren Miller
Saturday, July 19, 2003

Actually, I think there are more glaring issues than this one to tackle.  Why do you shut down an engine to get it to stop running, but you shut up a person to get them to stop talking.  I think that is far more bizzare.

But then if these issues were so troublesome we would have all migrated to Esperanto by now.

Oren Miller
Saturday, July 19, 2003

I believe you would say 'Windows Is Closing' or 'Window Is Shutting Down your Computer' because in that context the word 'Down' is not a useless adverb.

Saturday, July 19, 2003

"You start up your engine and then you shut it down.
You can also start your engine, but you can't shut it."

I believe, You 'Turn your engine off'.  The word 'shut' means to close not to 'turn off', i think.

ai.. yiyiyiyi..
Saturday, July 19, 2003

"You start up your engine and then you shut it down.
You can also start your engine, but you can't shut it."

'Start up your engine', up is a useless adverb.

anon
Saturday, July 19, 2003

And then there's the grammatical awkwardness of saying "Windows is" anything.  "Look!  These several windows is doing something!"

Sam Livingston-Gray
Saturday, July 19, 2003

I think they chose "starting up" because of the ambiguity of the word "start."

Someone who doesn't know that Windows needs to be "started" before you can use your computer may interpret the sentence "Windows is starting" as "Windows is becoming unstable."

"Start up" does not have an unfortunate second meaning.

Apparently there are people at Microsoft who get paid for thinking about these things.

Big B
Saturday, July 19, 2003

Good point, Big. Also, "Starting Up" is conversational and friendly, not to mention familiar.

For the average user, it's much better than "Matriculating Splines" don't you think? Even though I happen to like the Maxis phrase better.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, July 19, 2003

Please folks let's use some common sense here. ..You don't shut windows. You shutter them! How else do you keep the storms out?

"Windows are Now Shuttering Closed"

See, that's the correct solution!

Dennis Atkins
Saturday, July 19, 2003

Hmmm... If Windows Was Developed...

... At Woodstock "Windows is having a bad trip and has become unstable, please talk it down."

... By The Doors "You are now opening the Windows of Perception"

... By Yoda "Windows Starting Up Is"

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, July 19, 2003

by MarkTaw:

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

j/k :-0

Saturday, July 19, 2003

Can I take that back...  WAY to harsh!  Sorry

Saturday, July 19, 2003

... - ha ha ha. too late. =P

now you have to live with it. lol.

www.marktaw.com
Saturday, July 19, 2003

"The Windows are broken" bhwhaaha. I kill myself.

Mickey Petersen
Saturday, July 19, 2003

FYI, you can "stop" your engine too.

Richard Kuo
Saturday, July 19, 2003

I studied linguistics once and there's a very complicated grammar associated with using up and down after a verb. Something to do with reversible and non-rerversible actions.

It's funny how much the meaning changes when you swap up for down. Consider "get up" verses "get down"!

Matthew Lock
Saturday, July 19, 2003

It's funny how much the meaning changes when you swap up for down. Consider "get up" verses "get down"! - Matthew Lock

I don't think we have to cover this ground again, when innumerable disco groups have been there already.

Zahid
Sunday, July 20, 2003

Personally, I think 'Windows is shuttering' would be the best.

As for the 'get up'/'get down' controversy, I can only refer you here: http://www.theonion.com/onion3539/national_funk_congress.html

Devil's Advocate
Sunday, July 20, 2003

How about the Cartesian "Windows is" and "Windows isn't."

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, July 20, 2003

Matthew and Zahid-  Not only have disco groups covered this, but The Onion has taken a stab at it as well:

http://www.theonion.com/onion3539/national_funk_congress.html

Sam Livingston-Gray
Sunday, July 20, 2003

Well crafted, mark taw!

Fred2000
Monday, July 21, 2003

Tks.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 21, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home