Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Compaq Presario X1000 Laptop Review...

Just a word of warning, the site/server is brand new and rough around the edges.  I'm interested in seeing what my shiny new dedicated server can do, so bombs away:

http://www.sharpmatrix.com

Comments, questions: ggalante@adelphia.net

GiorgioG
Friday, July 18, 2003

Wow, thats quite a review in such a short time!
Thank you so much. It's 3.25AM here and I have been waiting for the review. It was worth the wait. :)
I know exactly what you are talking about Dell's keyboard. I have an Inspiron 2650 given by work and I hate it.
One more question, I read somewhere that the top part(the screen) is heavier than the bottom part so the screen wobbles a bit when you close and open. Is it true?
Once again, thank you very much. Most likely I am gonna get one of those, thanks to your review :) So bill HP/Compaq for your review :)

Anon
Friday, July 18, 2003

Anon,

You're welcome. 

*open/close/open/close/open laptop*

Nope, no wobble here.  Everything seems pretty solid.  Not sure how it could wobble in the first place...

I'll send HP a bill and let you know when I receive the payment ;-)

GiorgioG
Friday, July 18, 2003

FYI,

The problems noted about the Inspiron don't exist with the Lattitude.

Oren Miller
Friday, July 18, 2003

I have a Inspiron 2500, and don't have that problem...mine is more than 2 years old, maybe the recent inspiron models...

Prakash S
Friday, July 18, 2003

Prakash S:

Yep - the 2 year old Inspiron 8000 that the 1100 replaced was a nice model.  Seems like Dell is cutting way too many corners..

GiorgioG
Friday, July 18, 2003

I've noticed that about 30% of people hitting that site are using Netscape 6/Mozilla - are there any issues with the site using those browsers?  I don't have either installed at the moment.

GiorgioG
Friday, July 18, 2003

Tiny cosmetic problem -- your horiz bar on top of "About This site" doesn't line up with the one above "Friday, July 18, 2003".  Other than that, they're both pretty equal.

anon
Friday, July 18, 2003

I removed the horizontal lines for Netscape/Mozilla clients - just a temporary fix.  Thanks for the feedback - I just installed Firebird.

GiorgioG
Friday, July 18, 2003

www.x1000forums.com for more info on these laptops.  They look like a good deal but there seem to be a lot of reports of HP/Compaq getting orders wrong and the shift key sucking.  Upgrading the processor speed is also prohibitively expensive.

Richard Kuo
Saturday, July 19, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home