Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

munich linux redux

I'm sitting next to a Bavarian friend of mine here, (from Regensburg, not Munich, but close enough) who claims that this Munich/Linux thing is actually NOT really going to happen and that Microsoft is getting the city to dump the linux bid by giving all the school systems free stuff.  He's an IT pro who has built out a number of large-scale hospital IT projects throughout southern germany.  I don't know what his sources are, he just shakes his head and says "this is going to be somewhat embarrassing" when I ask about it.
Has anyone else heard this?

Thursday, July 17, 2003

Do you really expect someone on this board to have more info on this than your apparently hyperconnected friend?

Whats the point here?

Eric DeBois
Thursday, July 17, 2003

I guess the point is that we make a mental note and see if it's true or not. Remember that Germans really like their conspiracy theories, though...

Chris Nahr
Thursday, July 17, 2003

germans like conspiracy theories? perhaps. but not to half the extent the average american seems to do.
by the way, the rumors are false... ms tried to throw in free software to schools at the end - but it didn't do any good: the more ms lowered their bid to the end the more munich felt they were being ripped of all the time before. and would be ripped of again later, if linux perhaps wasn't as big a threat to ms.

cs
Thursday, July 24, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home