Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Quo Vadis Navigator

I'm surprised that the layoffs at AOL on the browser development group haven't been commented on here, perhaps thats because it wasn't a surprise at all.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/6314306.htm

Quite how alive $2m from AOL and similar from Sun and a few other bits and pieces  will mozilla.org be kept remains to be seen.

Simon Lucy
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

One of the first things that springs to mind from a European perspective is tax evasion :-).
If you are going to invest in a pure "commoditize your complements" operation, especialy in a shared benefits scenario (you are less interested in owning the thing than you are in it supporting your complement or making life more miserable for you competitors), why the hell would you want to pay taxes on the development (taxes and charges on employment amount to around 60% of the total employment cost around here, and I believe (someone check this) not-for profits are exempt to a lot of these add on costs). 
You know a .org raking in multiple mega bucks is not going to bite the hand that feeds them, and as an added bonus you get to hide behind a true "David" underdog image that the gullable are so primed to fall for.

Just me (Sir to you)
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

I have to agree with "Just me".

The tax reason is probably one of the more dominant factors; if you get a non-profit to work on it by throwing enough cash their way then they will eventually come up with what you want, but without the actual overhead costs. I'm not familiar in detail with company taxing, but I suspect that AOL can write off those $2 million as a charitable donation.

Mickey Petersen
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

It's embarrassing to see that mozilla.org mutated into a ad-like-page which even uses one of Joel's comments to sell the software. Only some weeks ago the software was standing for itself, now it's advertised like soon-to-be-rotten tomatoes.

Johnny Bravo
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Yes, I can't imagine that Gervase had anything to do with that.

ho hum

Simon Lucy
Thursday, July 17, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home