Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Minority owned bidding.

I recently bid on a state contract within the US.  I am not a minority or women owned business and I knew that the state had a set-aside of points for being a M/WOB but I still thought I had a good chance.

Then I found that companies sending work to India were also able to claim Minority status as Indian's are considered a minority in the US.  So even though my price was in the same line, they would win by claiming minority status.

I am not against the set asides as I understand that businesses do discriminate enough that it is necessary.  However, am I missing something for thinking this is crazy? 

BiddingForWork
Monday, July 14, 2003

Unfuckingbelievable.

Argh!
Monday, July 14, 2003

Boy, this would make for a very, very juicy troll for the guys over at The Wall Street Journal.

You should contact one of the relevant journalists over there.

Burninator
Monday, July 14, 2003

No kidding Trogdor...

Don't get the reference?
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

GiorgioG
Monday, July 14, 2003

Are you certain that the additional 'points' are due to the work being done by Indians in India? I would guess that more likely there is a US company that is fronting the work, and that US company is classified in a way that adds points. If the latter is the case, I believe that it may fall into a common pattern in which a front company is used to obtain additional 'points' on a bid, and that front company then subcontracts the work out to other suppliers who may not qualify for 'points' on their own.

Dan Brown
Monday, July 14, 2003

Dan -- Good point. 

According to the state (which I do not mention just in case...) This is all public record.  An Indian owned company is operating in the US, as a MOB.  The owners are not residents of the US, but the business does have a US office.

A front?  If so, it seems an amazing loop hole.  Again, I don't mind bidding or even the MOB/WOB point system, but it would seem even the MOB would have an issue here.

BiddingForWork
Monday, July 14, 2003

Just give your wife a majority share in your company.  Voila, you have a woman-owned business.

Phillip J. Eby
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home