Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

AMD or Intel for laptops?

Has anybody used Athlon XP-M on laptops? How are they compared to Mobile P4?
I have a laptop with Mobile P4 2.0Ghz now and I was looking at getting EMachines new wide screen laptop with Athlon XP-M. But I don't want to compromise on speed and performace. I have never used any machines with AMD. So I have no idea about them. Any suggestions?

Anon
Monday, July 14, 2003

I have a desktop Athlon 1.4ghz.  Plenty fast.  I would be concerned less with the CPU than with the rest of the laptop.  Emachines generally suck. 

GiorgioG
Monday, July 14, 2003

One thing I would do if I were you is investigate things like battery life and heat generation.  Both chips are fast, but Intel and AMD have differing technologies for battery saving mode, etc.

I have an Athlon 1GHz laptop and I sometimes think I should have done more research about battery life because I think it is not as good as comparable Intel laptops from the time I got it.

Mike McNertney
Monday, July 14, 2003

For whatever its worth, I just ordered (a variation of) this laptop:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Compaq_Presario_X1000/4505-3122_7-30422516.html

My machine's specs are:

P4 1.4ghz centrino
512mb ram
40gb hdd
32mb ati radeon 9200
DVD burner

($1624-10%)-$100 mail in rebate = $1361

You can find the 10% discount code for shopping.hp.com on the web with a quick google search.

GiorgioG
Monday, July 14, 2003

I have this one: http://tinyurl.com/gwmg - I have it for over six months now, and the performance is good enough for me. Hope that link is helpful.

Haggis
Monday, July 14, 2003

FYI: Toshiba also has widescreen laptops.

And whatever you do get that 3 year warranty...

Prakash S
Monday, July 14, 2003

I am like AMD CPU's but for laptops get a Intel Centrino. Not a P4 mobile, the Centrino is what you want. It's the first real notebook CPU around. The best feature about my Acer 800LCI is that it is totally silent. No fan running at all. Even when coding/compiling. The fan only spins when playing games, which I don't.

In addition you get 5 hours on batteries while powering a 1450x1024 screen. All that for $1500. Amazing.

Jan Derk
Monday, July 14, 2003

<Edit>
Replace "I am like" with "I like".
</Edit>

Jan Derk
Monday, July 14, 2003

You might want to find one that runs coolest.  This has been a problem in laptops as they become hot to the touch with some processors - granted the machine builder bears some blame for not designing proper cooling.

I'd go with a transmeta proc if you can get one in a laptop

Mike
Monday, July 14, 2003

GiorgioG, that price seems too good to be true.  I couldn't find the 10% discount or find a similarly configured laptop for that price on the Hp/Compaq site...  A little help here?

FredSavage
Monday, July 14, 2003

Think I used coupon code SV7095 or SV8248 - I can't remember and it doesn't show up on my online receipt (supposedly my laptop ships tomorrow)

http://www.jumpondeals.com/coupons/hpshopping
(I'm not affiliated with that site..blah blah)

GiorgioG
Monday, July 14, 2003

One important point about the heat that many people don't know about is that Lithium Ion batteries degrade over time, and the degradation is much faster at higher temperatures.  I'm not sure if there would be a realistic difference between two laptops, but getting a cooler running machine could save you a few hundred dollars down the line when you'd have to replace the battery

Mike McNertney
Monday, July 14, 2003

Thanks for all your suggestions. GiorgioG, thanks for the pointer. It looks like attractive deal. I will look into it.

Anon
Monday, July 14, 2003

I don't know. I think mine is Intel. Must be - the DX4-100 was before AMD came in, right? And yes, it is still perfectly quick enough for what I want to do on it (maybe because it isn't running Windows?). The only problem is the hinges on the screen seem to be broken so I have to prop it against something.

Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Thanks Gi!

FredSavage
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

GiorgioG,
Where exactly do you use those coupon codes? I have been configuring/trying to buy that laptop and I couldn't find a place where I can enter any codes (like on Dell's site you have an option when you add it to cart). Thanks

Anon
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Anon,

You enter the coupon code near the end of the order/check-out process.

Oh and by the way, if you all recall I said my laptop would be shipping today...well I got surprise from FedEx today ;-)

Before we get to the good stuff, we'll start with the bad...err sort of anyway...

I ordered it with XP Pro and got XP Pro installed, but only got the WinXP Home backup CD.  Need to call tech support to get the right one...

And the big issue.

I ordered it with a DVD+R/W drive.  I only got a DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive with it.  Their site has since changed and that's not listed as an option.  Good thing I took a screenshot of the option when I ordered it (I *thought* it was too good to be true - or I'm just naturally paranoid) and after speaking to a very friendly customer service rep, she told me to send the screenshot to one of HP Shopping's managers.  I should get an answer by the end of the day.  I'll keep you all posted.  Otherwise, this laptop is so much better than this awful Dell Inspiron 1100 work gave me a month ago.  I'll have a review/comparison of the two in a few days.

GiorgioG
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Jan,

Which laptop did u buy? Could you give me a link? Thanks.

Giorgio,

Snapshot was a cool idea - after all "Only the Paranoid Survive" :-)

Prakash S
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

I just had assumed the DVD-R/W was a typo.  Good luck on actually getting it... :)

FredSavage
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

You can get a DeskNote for a great price, shop around (there's 16'' screens too). I'd buy OEM software (ebay).

AMD is usually hotter (= lower battery hours, life, xtra fan recommended, +it's not so easy to keep your hands on a hot keyboard).

The only thing I didn't like about the DeskNote, is the weight (well, hence the name, "Desk"note).

The same machine from HP, would be about 20% more.

Some sam
Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Prakash, it's in my post. An Acer Travelmate 800lci. This model is the exactly the same as the 803lci reviewed here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Acer_TravelMate_803LCi___Pentium_M_1_6_GHz___15__TFT/4505-3122_7-20949315.html?tag=pdtl-list

only much cheaper. I also noticed that I lied about the screen resolution, which is 15 inch 1400x1050.

Jan Derk
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

oops:-); looks like an excellent choice for a laptop, Jan

Prakash S
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

There is an awesome Dell laptop deal (intel) on http://www.keepcash.com  I just bought two of them!

Steve Grogan
Tuesday, February 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home