Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

call back?

I had interviewed for a position in February, I got a call from the guys in May saying they might have a position open,and to see if I was available.They said they might not make an offer now, but in a few months, when they get more work, then they can give me a contract, seeing it's 2 months from May, should I call them up or perhaps e-mail them that I am available?

Anon
Monday, July 14, 2003

Sure. What have you got to lose?

Fernanda Stickpot
Monday, July 14, 2003

Go for it. Why not send it in the form of a letter... letters are so rare these days, they're bound to appreciate it. Even better, a really great postcard that they'll hang on their wall and think of you every time they look at it.

www.marktaw.com
Monday, July 14, 2003

How about one of these?

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/9062/benny.html

Justin
Monday, July 14, 2003

Don't push it. There is no failure in giving up.

Monday, July 14, 2003

Anon -- In this business you are "always interested in talking."  What does it hurt? 

Don't speak about being available, or when.  The big mistake I see made is when people tell an interviewer that their contract is up in a month or three months or whatever, before they have a job offer.    It is a mistake because they now know you will be looking soon so you will take less for the security of the next postion.

You are interested in talking about a position.  The company, and a compensation package.  This is salary, benefits, etc.  If you mention money, the talks can stall there.

Also, I agree with the poster who said send snail mail.  Or, reply to the email and send a thank you snail mail.  IT will get remembered.

BigRoy
Monday, July 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home