Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

contender apps for corporate use fr open-source ?

Beside Linux, Apache,  maybe OpenOffice, MySQL - what are other system/application for medium to large corporate use that comes from open source community that do you consider good enough and can compete with products from Microsoft, Oracle and other big names ?
It might be something that is already available, but also can be something that will be available up to 3 years from now.
This might be helpful for us in deciding further IT investment planning in the future.

Thanks

meti_sinam
Sunday, July 13, 2003

At least three more open source databases, each of them more full-featured than MySQL:

Firebird
PostgreSQL
SAPdb

Herbert Sitz
Monday, July 14, 2003

I do product support and consulting work for many of my state's major government offices. In almost all cases, the servers are almost exclusively solaris based, with some bsd and linux. Desktop environments are winxp. Some of the open-source products I see in use:

- mysql
- apache
- tomcat
- jboss
- postNuke
- zope
- ipsec

And many more that I have forgotten. There is nothing unusual in my list, but together they pretty much run the departments (which are comprised of many thousands of people).

Rhys Keepence
Monday, July 14, 2003

Oh, and Plone, the cool content management system that runs under Zope:

www.plone.org

Herbert Sitz
Monday, July 14, 2003

Woops, that should have been more like "on top of" Zope.

Herbert Sitz
Monday, July 14, 2003

and Mozilla of course.

Simon Lucy
Monday, July 14, 2003

Ximian Evolution has been getting quite a bit of press lately as an open source Outlook replacement:

http://www.ximian.com/products/evolution/

Looks like not all the bits and pieces are open source, but it looks like something large organizations may want to keep an eye on.

Herbert Sitz
Monday, July 14, 2003

add to that

openACS - http://openacs.org

tapiwa
Monday, July 14, 2003

Open source languages are pretty popular in companies too: PHP, Perl etc

Matthew Lock
Monday, July 14, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home