Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Indian employees reject IT job working conditions

Seems that the best and the brightest in india are turning from IT jobs since they don't like the stress, the long 10 hours days, or the poor opportunies for socializing with friends:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&e=14&u=/nm/tech_india_workers_dc

>the dream soured for the 24-year-old when he began to see the flip side of his cool job: Long night shifts, irregular eating habits, and few opportunities to meet his old friends.

>"Social life is nil in such a job, as you spend 10 to 12 hours at the office at nights and then spend the rest of the day sleeping while others around you are active," said Gangadharan, who quit after two years to go back to business school.

Didn't realize they had such shocking working conditions in India! No wonder they're upset!

IT is it for me oh yes it is I love it so
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Now imagine those working conditions, and being halfway across the world in America, and for basically the same pay. I would be pissed too.

www.marktaw.com
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Um sorry to say but the are talking about Customer Service jobs not development

Daniel Shchyokin
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Troll.

And look, a troll who doesn't know the difference between the software and call center industries.

Let this thread die without fanfare...

Homo Sapien Intelligentus
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Sound of trumpets, preferably Purcell :)

Every funeral deserves a good fanfare.

Call centre jobs in India are taken by people who would be earning 50-60K in the States. They only earn 7-10K but they are earning a great slalary for the country.

Now, the prestige is declining, and they aren't going anywhere. And of course you can't fuck them around like you can the employees of UK or US centres.

So, they're thinking twice; and the market's limited.

As call centres appear to be places designed to money off Premium rate instead of having anything to do with helping the consumer, I, for one, won't regret thier contraction.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Its not just premium call rate though, but basic services for banks, BT and the like.

And given that its not all that unlikely to get a sub-continent phrased accent on the phone in the UK so long as the network holds up and the data flows no one will notice its any worse than South Shields doing it.

Simon Lucy
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Stephen:

>Call centre jobs in India are taken by people who would be earning 50-60K in the States. They only earn 7-10K but they are earning a great slalary for the country.

Where can a phone jockey make $50-60k in the USA?  I did it for 3 years (got me through college) and I never made more than $21,000/yr.  Please back up your claims...

GiorgioG
Sunday, July 13, 2003

I think he meant by their general educational qualifications and aptitude.  You did it working through college, these will mostly be fairly high caste degree, or multiple degree qualified people with sophisticated understanding of english idioms.

Simon Lucy
Sunday, July 13, 2003

Hi Caste degree?

An Indian
Monday, July 14, 2003

Trolling? I think not!

This article shows that it is the high level design jobs -- that so called core competancy -- that Boeing and Intel are shipping to Russia and India, and not only the undesirable jobs:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=562&e=5&u=/ap/tech_moves_offshore

Rah rah IT
Monday, July 14, 2003

It seems to me that us Americans shouldn't be letting any of our jobs or money leaving the country. We have the best economy in the world and all the other countries like India are communist and shouldn't be taking our hard working American jobs.

George Moore
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

George, don't forget that these thankless communists are taking our women as well! When will the madness end?

Angry in Idaho
Wednesday, July 16, 2003

>>all the other countries like India are communist
Wow!! I didnt know India was a communist country. I must have missed the news that day when India changed from being the largest democratic country to a communist country ;)

MN
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home