Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Interview Blues

In May of this year, I interviewed for a position, which involved taking an online C# test (I did great), and was offered the job starting immediately (June 1).  This would require me to leave some things unfinished at my current position, as well as cause some personal hardships.  I explained my predicament, and said a start date of July 1 would be perfect for me.  This was literally a deal-breaker, and I ended up declining their offer.

In June I resigned my current position because of the frustrations that had led me to the job search to begin with.  The company that offered me a job in May heard I had resigned, and called me in for another interview.  I interviewed for them again last week, and they said they like me, and believe my personality would do great with their team.  They only have one more requirement - that I take an online ASP exam.  I did it, and got an almost perfect score.  My interviewer says the exam questions weren't good enough, and wants me to take another ASP test that he will make up.  I believe this will be in the form of a phone interview.

I am an MCSD with half a dozen years of experience in this field - I have to say I'm a bit put off with having to take all these certification exams to prove myself for a job that I've already been offered once before.  I feel like this company is trying to punish me for refusing their first offer by making me jump through a bunch of hoops this time around...

What do you think?  By the way, they've hinted that this time around will probably be about 5-7k less than my initial offer... same job title...

tired of jumping through hoops
Saturday, July 12, 2003

heh heh - they got you just where they want you.

now you know what the premium is for having a job vs not: 5-7k.

at least you didnt have to pee in a jar!

take the job, work there until the economy turns around, then when crunch time is really bad, do to them what they wanted your to do to your other employer - leave critical things unfinished and take off!

turnabout is fair play
Saturday, July 12, 2003

turnabout may not be so fair if he is hurting other people besides those taking advantage of him now...

Scot
Saturday, July 12, 2003

"... I feel like this company is trying to punish me for refusing their first offer by making me jump through a bunch of hoops this time around... "

They are no longer testing you for your technical skills.  They simply want to see how pliable you are. My bet is they will require you to work 60-80 hours a week.

How about a ballpark figure on the salary offer?

Saturday, July 12, 2003

"turnabout may not be so fair if he is hurting other people besides those taking advantage of him now..."

My philosophy on this is pretty simple.

1. The most important person is me. I'm not going to sacrifice my happiness, health, or well-being for semi-strangers who happen to work for the same company I do.

2. Everybody who works for the company, knows that the company screws people. No way would an HR department do this kind of stuff and nobody knows about it. So they have to expect that it's going to screw them back.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Saturday, July 12, 2003

What a sad company.  It's definitely going to get some blowback for gratuitously pissing off new employees -- the same people they're gleefully sticking in the company's bloodstream.

I'd say they should outsource to insulate their workers from their management, but they'd still no doubt mess that up as well.

anon
Saturday, July 12, 2003

first offer - low 60's, new offer will be mid 50's.

tired of jumping through hoops
Saturday, July 12, 2003

Say you already had an offer from them, if they want to firm it up based on what they already know, fine, if not you'll walk away from them.

If they want you they'll agree.

Simon Lucy
Saturday, July 12, 2003

There seems to be a strong "employer's market" right now.  Most firms I have spoken with indicate that capital spending on IT has been at low levels for longer than anyone anticipated.  There are many senior technical folks working on relatively few projects, at least in my area of Eastern Canada.

This problem is exacerbated by the fact that recent years saw record numbers of graduates from technical schools, many of whom are certified, but have little or no real world project experience.

One problem I've seen is HR people who can't tell the difference - especially when many of the candidates "creatively embellish" their resumes.  HR folks look for anything they can find to objectively determine the suitability of a candidate - even when the tests turn out to be inappropriate to the situation.

Keep in mind that the interviewer wants to cover his or her ass in case you turn out to be a poor fit for the position.  Take the opportunity to show off your professionalism in the face of adverse circumstances.  The important thing is to make sure you get an employment agreement that works for you.  Don't let shenanigans such as this distract you from your goal.

Brent Rockwood
Saturday, July 12, 2003

I agree that you have to look out for yourself.  And that people probably know that abuses are occurring.  Personally I couldn't picture myself taking a job after being treated similarly.

However, what I am saying is that just because the hiring manager is a jerk doesn't mean that it is good for me to be a jerk in return.

If my boss was doing something similar, it would be good for me to address the issue.  But when the guy he hired decided to quit and take out his vengeance, I wouldn't want to be left to pick up the pieces.  Am I guilty by association?  Even if I did my best to address the issue?

Scot
Saturday, July 12, 2003

Wow,  I agree with Brad on something!

sorry for the aol'er
Saturday, July 12, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home