Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Hey Joel!

Hey Joel, how about creating an entry so you could show us your company from the inside? Like, a day at fog creek,

RP
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Why should he do that?

I have a company, too. Shoud I tell you everything about my company?

XXL
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Of course not, but a good summary of what a typical day is like inside Fog Creek would be interesting.

Fred2000
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

It's not like he is giving away the secret recipe by showing a typical day X. Might be interesting.

trollbooth
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Although Joel's pictures are elegant, the workplace itself seems boring and he only has a few people working there. How exciting could it be? (No offense, Joel)

What I would like to see is more information on that summer home from his personal web site. That looks like a cool place.

Tom Fairlie
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Typical day:

Start at 9.00 (8:45 get your morning latte at the Starbucks)
work till 7 pm
7:15 go home
10 pm sleep

isn't it?
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

From what I can tell it's "wander in around 11, hang out for a while, program your butt of for a while, play pinball, get taco bell, go home around 7 or 8."

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

that is not true, mark. It's not Taco Bell, it's Big Enchilada.

(at least until we move -- the new office is closer to a taco bell)

Joel Spolsky
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Well, if Joel won't do it, we can do it. And since this is written before it actually happend, somethings might not be 100% accurate..

===

2003 07 09

Today was so hot, the perfect time for the air condition to break, so everyone left early.

Bye, gotta run too.

===

Would anyone please continue? only 1 entry per day.

Bobb
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

You wouldn't believe how much you could miss Grade E beef until you no longer have a nearby Taco Bell.  Proving humans will eat just about anything as long as it tastes nice and looks nothing like its original form.

Mmm, chalupas.  When I went to las vegas (home of Penn & Teller and George Carlin) I made sure I picked up a few.

sammy
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

===
2003 07 10

Air conditioning still broken, but we really need to get these jobs done. Received a complaint from the people across the road about us all working in the nude.

===

(As was posted before, this story could be apocryphal.)

Wednesday, July 09, 2003

===
2003 07 11

Weather is better, hoping for a great weekend.
Good news @ FogCreek: Stock market is down today (FogCreek is not on the stock market).
More good news: we decided that FogCreek will have a new product coming up the next few days... stay tuned.
===
(Again, since this is written before the time, not all might actually happen).

Bobb
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

2003 07 14

Bad news@fog creek: Had to fire old Bobb for spending all day posting online

xyz
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Hmmm moving closer to a Taco Bell, this would mean a higher incidence of intestinal tract problems amongst staff members, productivity falls, fingers turn a peculiar shade of yellow.

Simon Lucy
Thursday, July 10, 2003

===

2003 7 15

More Bad News @Fog Creek. Bobb is sueing for unfair dismissal. It seems he thought making online posts counted as a marketing activity at Fog Creek. We could let him have his job back, but we've already put a pinball machine in his office. (had a terrible time getting it into the trapezoidal office). So I've got to spend tomorrow hiring a lawyer.

David Clayworth
Thursday, July 10, 2003

sammy:

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/badmeat.asp

If you believe Taco Bell is "grade e", clearly you don't remember school lunches. It makes that stuff seem like Ruth's Chris.

Joe Grossberg
Thursday, July 10, 2003

I'm sad to disagree with the almighty Urban Legends site.  I actually sat back when I wrote that post and wondered if my memory of Grade E beef was correct.  My reasoning:

- Grade A-E does exist and refers to the maturity (younger  seems better) and marbling of beef:
http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/beef/rp357.htm
http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/standards/beef-car.pdf

- McDonald's boxes (containing their patties) prominently say USDA Grade A beef.

- I would think that for liquidy ground beef, it makes absolutely no sense to go for the marbled Grade A beef.  The taste difference wouldn't be that great relative to cost, and maybe less of that visible fat tastes better.

I could be misremembering of course.  And it's not like I'm a meat connoisseur:  the only meat I like now is seafood, gyros, pepperoni on pizza, and taco bell chalupas.  And the US seems pretty monstrous to its cattle, so I should stop soon.  Blah.

sammy
Thursday, July 10, 2003

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/stand/steerpost.pdf

I have nothing to add. I just love the poster.

Big B
Thursday, July 10, 2003

I am now hungry and slightly aroused...

Did ya check out the flanks on that little brown number?

Whitey
Friday, July 11, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home