Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Office 2003 - .NET?

Is Office 2003 written in .NET? I am running a beta and it feels extremly sluggish - on a P4 2.4ghz with 1024mb ram - compared to Office XP.

Is it just me?

Rhys Keepence
Monday, July 07, 2003

You would think betas would run slower because the optimization stuff is turned off.

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case because Office has all kinds of goofy interface stuff.

Here's a better question: what the hell was wrong with Office 2000? Why is there a need for a new release?

Warren Henning
Monday, July 07, 2003

I understand that it's not optimised, but 2003 seems slower than it should be. I used the Office XP and 2000 betas at the time, and they weren't noticeably slower, and that was on much slower hardware. I'm just curious as to the programming language/framework used, and if it has an impact.

The only thing in 2003 that I really like is the vertical panes in outlook (made possible thanks to increases in screen sizes), because the eye is much more efficient at reading shorter lines. The dictionary/thesaurus in Word is nice too. None of these would entice me to buy the product however.

Rhys Keepence
Monday, July 07, 2003

The one compelling thing for me about Office 2003 is the XML format data files. Otherwise, Office hasn't really been exciting since its conversion to full-fledged "new shell"-hood in Office 95. :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Oh, and no, none of the core apps were re-written in .NET. Some of the new satellite apps (like InfoPath) might've been, but I never really investigated.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

I'm really begining to like OneNote after the refresh. Before the refresh it was pretty good on a desktop, but hell to use on my Tablet PC. Now it is awesome everywhere. I just wrote up the spec for my new project in it and all of the organizational features were perfectly suited to the task.

Don't know about the language, but none of the apps in the beta seem any slower to me.

--Josh

JWA
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

OneNote is being dropped from all versions. http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,4248,1042032,00.asp

Ryan LaNeve
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

I thought OneNote was going to be dropped from the standard version. The info I have is two months later than the date of the article you link to.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

As I understand it OneNote was going to be sold as a standalone product and will not currently be bundled with Office in any version.

--Josh

JWA
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Here's what is currently in and out of Office 2003:
http://microsoft.com/office/preview/choosing/default.asp

Gord Schmidt
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Dumb move Microsoft.

InfoPath and OneNote are very cool applications that many people will want. They could even contend for killer-app status.

But by making them separate products, Microsoft customers have no real reason to upgrade to Office 2003. With them included it is different story.

Marc
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

On the other hand, that may be the reason MS split them out - they want InfoPath and OneNote adopted, and don't want the whining and "this is why monopolies are bad" crap getting in the way of people purchasing the software.

They just want boxes moving off the shelves. :)

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home