Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Learning New Items

Considering that your current job may not be there in the future, you want to prepare for the future..

How do you keep updated ?

1. Learning new skills
( more tools in what you  already know)

2. Learning new technologies?
  a. read
  b. practice
  c. try to make use of it

3. Training
4. Take part in groups/open source software

As a developer what sort of things you would focus on in the current market..

easy
Monday, July 07, 2003

I am learning C# and Microsoft .NET.

Baybee
Monday, July 07, 2003

I teach classes in new technologies. Right now I'm doing a lot of .NET training (C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, etc.)

This gives me a great opportunity to learn the new stuff, and puffs up my resume as well. And I help other people along the way. I often learn just as much from my students as they do from me. Works out well.

Chris Tavares
Monday, July 07, 2003

Learn how to write a book and become millionaire.

me_in_the_corner
Monday, July 07, 2003

"Learn how to write a book and become millionaire."

I hope you meant those as two separate things. 

Mister Fancypants
Monday, July 07, 2003

Chris Taveres wrote:
>> "I teach classes in new technologies."

That sounds like a great idea!  Do you teach informally, at a University, at a tech school, at a Microsoft certified developer center, or none of the above?  What did you do to qualify?  Are these positions hard to come by?

anon
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

I'm currently working for a contract/training house. Most of my work is your standard contractor faire, but every couple of months a class comes up and I get to teach for a week. I'm teaching Winforms with VB.NET next week. We usually use the MS curriculum, but I've also done my own lecture development.

As far as qualifying for the job, in my case it started with a desperate need on the part of the company for an ATL/COM instructor. I've been doing that for years now, and it sounded like fun (plus it paid well ;-) ) so I volunteered. That went well, and I've just kept picking up classes as I go along. I haven't yet done the Microsoft Certified Trainer thing, although I really should one of these days just to get the letters on my resume.

Chris Tavares
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home