Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Is Someone Looking at your Email?

I subscribe to a broadband cable internet service, and one of the services they provide is the typical portal thing where you can view your email via HTTP.  When I hit the refresh button today on my inbox, it displayed somebody else's inbox.  Needless to say I find this very disturbing, because if I'm looking at somebody else's mail, I know someone is looking at mine!

Has this happened to anyone else?  It seems like this kind of thing should have legal consequences.  Any idea whom I should contact to make sure this kind of thing stops?

anon
Monday, July 07, 2003

Contact your ISP. For what it's worth, my ISP has the usual "no warrantees of any kind" and "no liabilities" clauses in their EULA.

Christopher Wells
Monday, July 07, 2003

Yes, god forbid we have any accountability in this world. It might force us to admit our mistakes.

trollbooth
Monday, July 07, 2003

A good rule of thumb is to assume all of your email can be read by someone else.

pb
Monday, July 07, 2003

Did the other guy have any juicy secrets in his email?

:)

xyz
Monday, July 07, 2003

If it bugs you badly enough you could always encrypt it... I looked into it for a while and then realised that I really couldn't be ass. If someone wants to read about how badly I need to change my socks, or view the latest pic of me at the beach, well, more power to them.

Jack of all
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home