Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

music -- what I did

I spoke to a woman in a different department who has been here 20 years. She said Bob Noxious has always been a problem and I should go ahead and tell my boss the music is bothering me. I told him and he said of course Bob Noxious will have to wear headphones from now on. He can't hear it from inside his office and he didn't realize anyone else could. He had noticed I had been wearing ear plugs but thought it was because of general noise.
I said I am not bothered by noise, only by Bob Noxious' music, because I can hear this constant annoying rhythm even when the volume is low. I said I had told Bob to use headphones but he said the wire was too short.
I said I had been reluctant to complain because I'm the only one who can hear it all the time. My boss said of course I should tell him about something like that, which prevents me from concentrating.
End of story. I'm sure you will all be glad not to hear any more about it.

The Real PC
Monday, July 07, 2003

Guess you feel quite relieved now that the problem could be solved more easily than you expected.
Sometimes it's not good to hesitate too long before making an attempt to solve the things that bother you, as it's too bad about the time you spent wearing down your brain thinking about it; however sometimes it just takes this time to gain enough confidence to do the next step.
(Don't even know myself what I'm actually going to say.)

dat
Monday, July 07, 2003

argh, and there I was thinking you were working in the most political of environments or something!  Where everyone hated their jobs and just wanted to hide any problems.  You might want to get some perspective, you seem very alienated from your workplace and you might be sliding into the underground man.  (The russian one, not the english.)

sammy
Monday, July 07, 2003

"The wire was too short"? The sheer effrontery! I suggest you buy some bananas, eat them, and chuck the skins at his head "because it's too far to the bin".

A headphone extension cable is, what, 3 quid? (That's five dollars of funny money.) That's unbelievable.

Still, at least it's sorted out now. (But I'm slightly in shock!)

Tom
Monday, July 07, 2003

I didn't want to prevent Bob Noxious from enjoying himself, since I was the only person he was bothering. I wanted to make sure it really bothered me before complaining.
Then I started posting here and on other lists I belong to. People kept saying don't complain to the boss, buy Bob Noxious some expensive headphones, etc.  So I started to wonder if something terrible would happen if I complained to the boss.
All I can say now is I feel like I just stopped banging my head on the wall. It's amazing how irritating unwanted music can be.

The Real PC
Monday, July 07, 2003

I still think you should've bought the air horn.

Philo

Philo
Monday, July 07, 2003

Please keep us updated as to how long Bob actually obeys (I predict maybe a day or two tops) and what annoying habits of your own he complains about in order to get back at you.  I'm being serious. 

SomeBody
Monday, July 07, 2003

Well, see, if you ask for advice, you're only going to get a small percentage of the useful kind. Your (repeated) queries were just an excuse to come up with fun and cruel plans for what we would *like* to do in a similar situation, but don't, because life is ultimately better when it's boring.

Or something.

Martha
Monday, July 07, 2003

Martha, are you implying I wouldn't do the air horn thing myself?

Where do you work? [grin]

Philo

Philo
Monday, July 07, 2003

[what annoying habits of your own he complains about in order to get back at you]

I have NO annoying habits.

Actually, he hasn't turned it off yet. There is an intermediate manager directly over Bob who is supposed to tell him and I guess has not gotten around to it yet.
Or maybe it starts tomorrow.

If it's still playing tomorrow I'll threaten to throw his speakers out the window.

The Real PC
Monday, July 07, 2003

This might not be the end of the problem.  Since Bob has a history of annoying his coworkers, he may just ignore any requirement to use headphones.  Management may have to do something more drastic, like move him to some remote hallway if they won't do what they should: fire him.

Headphones aren't a panacea for annoying music anyway.  For example, on the Washington Metro it is illegal to play a radio (or other electronic device) using a speaker, but OK to use headphones.  There are some passengers who ride the system with their radio playing into headphones, but with volume turned up so loud that it is audible throughout the entire car.  Even at a reasonable volume, sound from headphones is quite audible if they are sitting on a desk rather than being on someone's head.

mackinac
Monday, July 07, 2003

I thought we weren't going to hear about this any more?

Burninator
Monday, July 07, 2003

All you have to do is not read it.
It's not like I'm playing it over loudspeakers.

I find the whole subject of Bob Noxious to be fascinating, if you don't mind.

The Real PC
Monday, July 07, 2003

Bob probably doesn't think he has any annoying habits either.  The point is that what you think is annoying might be different than what someone else thinks is annoying. 

You said you don't think talking is annoying.  Do you talk at work?  Take long personal calls?  Hold impromptu meetings in your cubicle?  Laugh loudly with coworkers while watching Strongbad?  If you do, you're probably annoying a coworker. 

You said in the other threads that there have been complaints about phone calls.  Maybe Bob is annoyed by something like this and turns his music up so that *he* can get work done.  I do this often and have a list of complaints that I can fire back if anyone has a problem with it.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time or say you're wrong.  If I was forced to work next to someone who listened to something like KD Lang all day, I'd probably shoot myself.  However, I can't recall any of the various office decrees I've witnessed ever sticking.  Whether you are right or not, reporting Bob identifies you as a whiner and probably won't stop Bob.  Someone who gets their work done without complaining is going to be viewed as a better employee than someone who blame others for their inability to get work done.  That's just life.

SomeBody
Monday, July 07, 2003

[Bob probably doesn't think he has any annoying habits either.]

Somebody,
You are taking me too literally. I talk to the guys around me and maybe that annoys someone.
Many people have complained about Bob in the past. By complaining I identified myself as someone who cares about their job, not as a whiner. If I went on year after year trying to work with that noise I would just be screwing myself.

I posted about this problem on several forums and not a single person had someone like Bob in their office. He simply does not give a darn if he bothers anyone.

The Real PC
Monday, July 07, 2003

There are some very angry individuals here, aren't there?
Maybe you have that syndrome where you take everything people say literally. Too bad.

The Real PC
Monday, July 07, 2003

RealPC,

Is this noxious fella someone you don't want to tick off because he'll make hell for you at work (someone in authority over you, the boss' best buddy etc. etc.)?  You seem to have some reluctance to approach him directly.

If not, then why don't you just ask him if he would't mind turning his music down.  Explain to him politely that you have a hard time concentrating.  If possible, try to have a witness or an email thanking him for your talk, something that you can have as backup if you have to go to your upper management about him. 

Try to resolve the problem one on one, then go to managment if the problem is not resolved.  This makes for better neighbor relations and makes your case more credible.  Also, doesn't make you look like some kinda of whiny baby.

Unknown
Monday, July 07, 2003

It's been a long story that you probably didn't read (luckily for you). I spoke to Bob N. but he is famous for not giving a darn. Maybe it's some kind of personality disorder. He is not anyone special, not a friend of the boss or anything.

The Real PC
Monday, July 07, 2003

Real PC, there's something a bit worrying about your insistence that it's the other guy who's wrong. Mayve you're the problem?

Monday, July 07, 2003

Maybe you like me to make a few calls and have this guy 'commented out' ?

braid_ged
Monday, July 07, 2003

Hey Joel,

Thanks for deleted the truth.

Wake me up inside
Monday, July 07, 2003

Hey Joel,

Thanks for deleting the truth.

Wake me up inside
Monday, July 07, 2003

Damn it!

I see this thread and instantly think there must be some great story. Some tale so great that it will linger in our minds until in becomes an urban legend.

I was imagining speakers getting tossed over cubical walls as the air horns of Gabriel blew triumphantly from sky!

But no. You had to go "speak" to your boss. Your boss had to respond in a "civilized manner". Everything had to be handled like "mature adults".

<sign> no fun....

Marc
Monday, July 07, 2003

Be patient. Bob Noxious might ignore his manager, or his manager might forget to tell him. The speakers still might be flying out the window.
Stay tuned.

The Real PC
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

There's this guy in the next cube that just fidgets all day, spends time on the phone sobbing, etc. I turn on some music pretty quietly to drown him out.

A couple of weeks later, he comes up to me and says that he's not entirely sure, but that he thinks my music might be too loud for some of the people in our office -- not him, mind you, but some of the other people. And that the song "Kill Whitey" doesn't have the ironic charm that I thought it did.

So, I ask around.  And no one can hear it. And everyone thinks "Kill Whitey" is hysterical. I figure that that is that, and ignore it.

A few weeks pass. The boss comes to speak to me, says this guy came to him because I was refusing to turn my music down and stuff. And then I stumble onto this board, and find out that he's been simmering and obsessing for weeks.

Vapid little twit.

Bob Noxious
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

BN

'Kill Whitey"

LMAO

Whitey
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

So where's the update?  I'm sure we're all dying to know if today's the day the music died.

SomeBody
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home