Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

PIM or personal planning software

What kind of PIM do you use?

I have been searching for a good PIM for a long time, but found none.

What I look for in a PIM is:

It must maintain TO-DO lists, and it must have separate TO-DO lists for each project.

I must be able to distinguish between "essential-must-do-now" tasks, and non-essential tasks.

It must also support a deadline for each TO-DO item.

What kind of PIM software do you use?

Thank you!

John K.
Monday, July 07, 2003

Outlook does all of that. Or (and I haven't used a Palm in a few years) the Palm Desktop software used to be nice.

Damian
Monday, July 07, 2003

You must be joking. The planning tools in Outlook are primitive, in my opinion.

For example, I can't define several projects, and have for each project a separate to-do list.

John K.
Monday, July 07, 2003

You can create individual categories for each project, then assign this category to each task that belongs in a project. In the task view, you can then group by category. Voila, a project grouped list of tasks. You can even have a timeline/gantt-style view of each task based on when you set the start date and how long you expect it to take.

Outlook is incredibly underrated, IMO.

Geoff Bennett
Monday, July 07, 2003

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think Outlook has sub-categories, does it?
I've got several projects, and each project has several areas I'd like to group tasking into (reporting, by form, database, etc)

Philo

Philo
Monday, July 07, 2003

If it helps, you can categorise task my more than one category. This is useful because most of the real world is not one single category. Maybe you can use the multiple-category feature to create the structures you define as subcategories.

Practical Geezer
Monday, July 07, 2003

I tried Outlook, and doesn't appear to do what I need.

It's primitive.

John K.
Monday, July 07, 2003

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but what about an outliner?

www.treepad.com
www.tgslabs.com
www.actionoutline.com

Frederic Faure
Monday, July 07, 2003

I follow David Allen's methodology:

http://www.davidco.com/

His book has a small discussion on how to organize Outlook and/or Palm to support his methodology. He also sells a monograph that goes into more detail and an add-in that automates Outlook to support his system.

I can think of lots of things his methodology doesn't do, but the bottom line is that none of those things are necessary for me to be productive and happy.

YMMV.

--
http://www.braithwaite-lee.com/

Reginald Braithwaite-Lee
Monday, July 07, 2003

Ecco Pro is slick little PIM.

It does a lot of different things. Probably more than you need. But the task list and projects are nice.

That tasks can be associated with a project.

BOTTOM LINE
PROs
1. Free
2. Powerful

CONS
1. No longer supported by the company. (Although there is a strong user community)
2. A bit complicated.

ECCO PRO and other task lists
http://john.redmood.com/organizers.html

Entrepreneur
Monday, July 07, 2003

"I can't remember exactly, but I don't think Outlook has sub-categories, does it?"

Philo:  In the Tasks folder in Outlook, you can create sub-folders, which are basically Task (Project) folders whose items remain separate from one another.

Not very intuitive, to be sure.

Jeff MacDonald
Monday, July 07, 2003

I avoid Outlook wherever possible, simply because it's such a large target for viruses. Plus I don't have MS Office at home.

I use Treepad every day, but it's hardly what I would call a PIM. It's a great way to store structured data, but it's never going to remind me to do something. I also like Action Outline, and never heard of the tgslabs one. Action Outline is good for tasks becuase of the colored flags, but it's still not a to-do list. It's also not as stable as I would like.

Ecco Pro looks nice, but is it still available? I looked for it when I found john.redmood.com and haven't seen it.

Reginald, would you care to expand on the David Allen method? Just a teaser before I check out the book.

I've also been looking for a GOOD to-do list. Just something that sits in the systray and pops up every once in a while, or when I click on it with a small spread-sheet style to-do list with items I can check off, and some of them have to be recurring.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Link to the Ecco exe
http://www.scaevola.com/eccobasics/

Andy
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Tks Andy... I think I did find this site way back when, but I stuck with Treepad.

www.marktaw.com
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

> I've also been looking for a GOOD to-do list.
> Just something that sits in the systray and
> pops up every once in a while, or when I click
> on it with a small spread-sheet style to-do
> list with items I can check off, and some of
> them have to be recurring.

Check out Quick TO-DO Pro from Capstan (Capstralia?) software.

It's simply excellent.

Baybee
Tuesday, July 08, 2003

on the palm check out:
projects4palmos.sourceforge.net

copied from the site:
Projects itself is kept very similar to the built-in To-Do application on Palm powered PDAs. The main difference between these two apps is that Projects keeps more than one list of to-dos. Beside the to-do list each project also stores a memo text.

Gavin
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

> Quick TO-DO Pro

I think I saw this software when I was looking for something that did this... I forget why I passed it up though.

I guess I'll have to look more closely at it.

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Quick TO-DO Pro 4 can be found at:

http://www.capstralia.com/products/pro/

It is an excellent software, in my opinion.

Number One
Thursday, July 10, 2003

Multi-user PIM?

I move between two computers on our network. (One if for development and the other is for taking orders).

I need a PIM that will work from both computers.  Ecco Pro does that nicely, but it doesn't let you put content in a list item. I.e., it's JUST a list.

Any suggestions of something like TreePad that does NOT cost $400.00+ (Treepad enterprise version costs $350+ for the server plus $125 per client license).

Entrepreneur
Wednesday, October 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home