Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Has anyone used TX Text Control?

Hi All,

Has anyone here had any experience using TX Text Control (http://www.textcontrol.com)?

I'm about to begin an app that allows users to create structured documents relating to a specific subject. These documents use a specific format developed by my company. The current way of doing this is to use a reporting component (ActiveReports .NET) and add/edit the text and images using dialogs. This works fine, but I'd like the ability to:

1) Use actual tables, rather than have to use multiple textboxes arranged like a table, and then having to set the heights of all textbox "cells" in a "row"  to the height of the tallest cell. This seems to be native to TX Text Control.

2) Allow the user to directly edit the text within the tables. This would be in addition to the ability to add/edit text and set formatting options through dialog boxes. It appears that this is also native in TX Text Control. The only thing that I'm not sure of yet is whether you can enable and disable user editing of certain fields of text.

I'd be using the .NET version, and have no need to use it within a browser.

I'm downloading it now and I'm going to play with it, but I thought I'd see if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with this, and/or any tips.

Thanks guys,

--Josh

JWA
Friday, July 04, 2003

We have been using it for about a year or so. But not the .NET version. We use to add some basic word processing like features to our app. Basically they enter everything in a big memo box and can do all the basic formatting which was very easy to set up.

You can specify many formats to save the data in. We save it in RTF. We have never tried the embedded fields but apprently you can create forms with some sections editable.  There has only been very minor quirks with the product, otherwise it has been very stable and easy to use.

Dave

DJ
Friday, July 04, 2003

I've been working with it recently in a C# app.  I'm generally impressed so far.  For example, I like the fact that it comes with a toolbar class that Just Works.

I'm using it as an HTML editor, nothing more.  In that context, I dislike the fact that it doesn't understand the SIZE attribute on FONT tags.  I handles the FACE attribute, but not SIZE.

Eric W. Sink
Saturday, July 05, 2003

Hmm.

We spent a lot of time incorporating TX Textcontrol .NET into my app only to discover there was a problem with their licensing system that mean it didn't work in our live environment.

I unpicked their code using ILDAsm and told them where it looked to me the problem was (they assumed the loading app was a .NET one- it wasn't). They then told me off for breaking their user licensing agreement.

They thanked me for the bug report, and told me they would probably fix it in April/May (the report was late Jan), so I had to move on given our release schedule of February. On the plus side, they were prompt at answering my questions and processed the refund efficiently.

Instead I'm using TRichView http://www.trichview.com as a COM object and I'm very happy with the functionality and price as well as the fact that it works and I've got the source code - and the support is /outstanding/. It handles tables really well and there's a whole heap of excellent menu code with it. The downside? You need some Delphi skeeelz to build the COM object though once Delph.NET ships, TRichView will become a first-class .NETizen.

HTH

TheWeasel
Sunday, July 06, 2003

"I unpicked their code using ILDAsm and told them where it looked to me the problem was (they assumed the loading app was a .NET one- it wasn't). They then told me off for breaking their user licensing agreement."

They just lost two sales here. I was looking at their product, but will NEVER buy from a company with this attitude.

Philo

Philo
Monday, July 07, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home