Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

vmware ipo watch

http://news.com.com/2100-1001_3-1023215.html?tag=lh

When IPO time comes for these guys - we gonna buy the shares wouldn't we? I cannot think of other private company which is so dominant and respected at the same time by software community.

igor
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Your being sarcastic right ?

James Ladd
Thursday, July 03, 2003

I'd love to get in on it myself. VMWare has the best virtual PC technology, a great rep, and I believe virtual server partitioning is going to be a booming business for the next 7-10 years.

Marc
Thursday, July 03, 2003

VMWare has a great product, no doubt about that. But considering the fact that Microsoft just bought Connectix, do you think VMWare's IPO going to do well? What are Wallstreet's analysts going to be thinking?

Yaniv
Thursday, July 03, 2003

And remember that VMware provides a stellar product -- where they can. They can't emulate a PC on a mainframe, for example.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, July 03, 2003

You are right Brad, but I'm not sure that the mainframe consumer would care even if they could run on it. I could be wrong.

As for Connectix, I don't think they will unseat VMWare for one reason; Linux. VMWare runs on both Windows & Linux and this gives them a larger market to play in.

Remember that although Microsoft has taken over markets from leading vendors before, in each case it required the leading vendor to screw up first. When they *don't* screw up, Microsoft has trouble beating them (Intuit is a primary example of this). So far VMWare is doing things right.

Microsoft could just buy VMWare of course... :-)

Marc
Thursday, July 03, 2003

I dunno .... the new V4 product has not been quite so well received among the end users.  Browse the VMWare support newsgroups to get an earful.  We've got it here and there were a couple of showstoppers right out of the box.

Mitch & Murray (from downtown)
Thursday, July 03, 2003

"I'm not sure that the mainframe consumer would care even if they could run on it. I could be wrong."

Lots and lots of IBM mainframe customers running virtual Linux would disagree. :-D

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Thursday, July 03, 2003

I think there are a few of you who think an IPO will do well because of the technical merrits of a product. This usually has very little to do with it. Its more about the bean counting, and less about whats in the beans.

James Ladd
Thursday, July 03, 2003

Marc said:  "When they *don't* screw up, Microsoft has trouble beating them (Intuit is a primary example of this)."

I agree that potential investors have to hope that VMware doesn't screw up even one time.

It should be noted that Intuit has screwed up in the past. In the early 90s, I liked Quicken so much that I would buy their latest release the minute it hit the shelves each October. (I think it was October.) Every year, it seemed, they had another cool feature that saved time, reduced errors, or displayed my data in a cool new way.

About 8 years ago I picked up their newest release and it was SO MUCH SLOWER than all of their prior releases. Using the program became a chore; I started procrastinating more and more and eventually stopped using the program entirely. Worst of all, the upgrade changed its file format so it was not even possible to revert to the previous version that I liked so much.

Later, when I got a fast new computer, I decided to try MS Money, which was sufficiently okay by that time. I've been using it ever since.

Larry Prince
Thursday, July 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home