Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Newsreader recommendations?

To add to the email client thread:

Any hints on usenet newsreaders?  It seems that there's Outlook Express (I'm not thrilled with the interface), and then there's the other stuff out there that was written years ago and is plain ugly.

Basically, a PC version of MT-Newswatcher would be ideal. :)

Speaking of which, the JoS discussion layout is the best I've ever seen.  No clutter, no "25 posts to a page", no annoying threading--just sequential posts.

-Rich

Rich
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

xnews

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

[Free] Agent

www.forteinc.com

Frederic Faure
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

xnews

www.marktaw.com
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

If you also want integration with other types of content (like RSS), then give NewzCrawler a try. It's known primarily these days for its RSS support, but it does support NNTP well.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

My problem with XNews is the attitude of it's developer. Take this great tip:

"New users are often confused or annoyed by Xnews opening an article or thread when they click on the subject. The solution is simple: don't click on the subject!"

Really? Brilliant idea...

Somone needs to send him a copy of Joel's book I think.

Marc
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Microplanet Gravity is OK, if you use Windows.

Tom
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I was using SuperGravity, a updated version of MicroPlanet Gravity, but I've recently switched to using Mozilla Thunderbird as a news reader instead.  It's got a clean interface, it's under active development, and I've not found many bugs with it.  I'm not using it for full USENET news, just to access a few technical support forums, however.

Ben Combee
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Gnus atop XEmacs or GNU Emacs.

"You're going to like the way you look."

Steven E. Harris
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Mozilla.

Really. And it also does email great.

And it lets you crosspost email to newsgroups and vice versa - which is something I've been bitterly missing in every other mail and news reader I've used, whether combined or separate.

Ori Berger
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

> And it lets you crosspost email to newsgroups
> and vice versa

Gnus does this with great finesse. It pulls together newsgroups, mailing lists, common e-mail, and RSS feeds, and blurs the lines between them. It's frustrating to read and compose any other way.

Steven E. Harris
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

XanaNews
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d7xananews.htm

Dave
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Sorry, I meant to include the NG Support info:
xananews.support and
xananews.wishlist on
forums.talkto.net

Dave
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

groups.google.com is an excellent news (usenet) reader.

Its allows you to read posts from even before you signed up and has a huge database. Which is searchable. Also your location is not imporatant just go to a local internet cafe.

Only thing you need to post to a question or post your own questions is to sign up to google groups. I'll bet it works from any web browser too.

smurf975
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I've tried Gravity, and it has some good features, but some rather large annoyances, too.

Xnews looks interesting, I'll echo the concern with the developer attitude.  And, it's like the first thing on the front page!  I know, it's good to have a FAQ there, I guess, but...

Don't know why I haven't thought of Mozilla.  I'll have to give it and some of the other suggestions a try (like NewzCrawler--been meaning to install an aggregator).

I'm somewhat suprised there aren't more polished news apps out there.

Oh--and to the Google Groups suggestion--I do use it, but it's less than ideal for browsing.  It's absolutely invaluable for searching, though!

Thanks!

-Rich

Rich
Thursday, July 03, 2003

I used Agent for five years, finally dumped it when it was obvious it had been abandoned (and what do you know - eighteen months later it was under development again)

I went from Agent to Gravity (briefly) then ended up with xnews - I *really* like xnews.

Put it this way - I think the best software is software you don't think about. xnews fits in that category - I just use it, no problem.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, July 03, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home