Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Disable mouse wheel horizontal Scrolling ?

Does anybody know of a way to disable horizontal scrolling when using the mouse wheel ?
Whenever I move a window that has both a horizontal and vertical scroll bar to the right to view something underneath, the vertical scroll bar is moved 'off screen' and the mouse wheel suddenly starts scrolling that window sideways.
This unexpected and inconsistent behavior is definitely not user-friendly. I would like to be able to scroll any window vertically at any time, even when its only visible scroll bar is the horizontal one.

Eric Hop
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

The vertical scroll bar is moved off screen? Huh? It's anchored to the right side of a window. How could it be moved off?

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Eric -- I can't reproduce, I've never seen the behaviour you describle with any mouse. What type of mouse are you using? What OS? With my Microsoft mouse under Windows XP, rolling the mouse wheel *always* a window scrolls up and down irrespective of where the window is placed on the screen or its complement of scroll bars. Have you fiddled with the settings in Control Panel > Mouse?

Duncan Smart
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

If I remember correctly this happened under Win2k and VS 6 .. I'm running XP now so I can't check. However, I do remember that in certain situations I would have the exact same annoying behaviour.

jedidjab
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

Exactly. I'm using Visual Studio 6. When I move one of my source windows to the side so that only the left half of it is shown in the MDI frame, and the vertical scroll bar is 'off screen' using the scroll wheel results in horizontal scrolling because that scroll bar is still visible. I am using IntelliPoint 4.12 with an IntelliMouse Explorer.

The irritating stuff happens when I'm scrolling vertically, move the window to the right (scroll bar off screen) to check something underneath, and then try to resume scrolling vertically. It now suddenly starts to scroll horizontally, I start screaming in frustration, and my train of thought is broken...

Eric Hop
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

By the way, I think using the same function for two different things is confusing as hell. Horizontal scrolling is not something you want to do often, as opposed to vertical scrolling (you do that all the time: sources, websites, helpfiles, etc).
So why they added this disfunctionality to the scroll-wheel is beyond me...

Eric Hop
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

I know what you're talking about.  Very aggravating. 

It doesn't do that in VS.NET 2K3, but that interface is jacked in other ways.  They moved all of the menus and changed the keyboard shortcuts.  Very very aggravating.

Of course it's still the best IDE out there, IMO.

ymmv dude
Wednesday, July 02, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home