Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Aeron vs Mirra - Mortal Kombat

My current chair, which has served me well for 4 years, and given me a place to uncomfortably perch for the last 1 is finally at that point in the lifecycle where you need to take it out back an pump a few bullets into it's back support.

So, while I continue to sit on the soon-to-be carcass (and scrape my arms on the exposed metal), I needed to decide what chair I'm going to replace it with. I went down the the nearest Herman Miller showroom to try out the infamous Aeron as well as the newer Mirra model.

Now, I'm not a small guy. I'm not fat, but I'm 6'4 and weigh about 255. I sat on the Aeron for the first time and it felt great. Fantastic. I leaned back a little bit, and it felt smooth and then I leaned back all the way.

Goosed.

I totally was not expecting this at all. The sales guy (who was about 5" shorter and 20 pounds heavier) said that on his Aeron he uses the tilt limiter to avoid that problem. I tried it, and in order to ensure no ass-to-whatever contact, I was only able to lean back about 40% of the way that a smaller person would be able to. So while sitting up it was nice, leaning back was less enjoyable, especially for a chair that runs CDN$1500 once you factor in the taxes and delivery and so on.

Then, I sat in  the Mirra. Before doing anythinge else, I leaned back to check for ass contact. There was none. The trip back was also smoother than the Aeron. The seat is a similar material as the Aeron, allowing for a cooler seat during long work periods. The back is made of a flexible plastic material that gives more than the Aeron's frame does when I rotate my body (like, say, when my GF comes in to ask me a question!)

There is, of course, some ego to include here. I want the best chair I can, and money really isn't an object. The Aeron is the "high end' chair, and the Mirra is the "mid-to high end" chair. The Aeron is more expensive, and given that it's from the same company, that usually means it's better. However, I must say that after spending about 20 minutes in the Aeron and 30 or so in the Mirra, I way, way prefer the Mirra. I like the colour and design better, I like the fit better, I like the absence of ass contact better, everything. Even the price is better: $1150 fully loaded with tax and everything.

So, I ordered one, in a nice, light yellow (citron) colour. Now, I just need to suffer for 8 more weeks until it comes to my home. :-)

Tim Sullivan
Saturday, June 28, 2003

Not to be an asshole (or more of one than usual), but what is the point of this post?

You are not asking for advice, as you've already ordered it... I don't mean to be telling you not to post here, but it looks like an ad (not that I really think it is, but you see my point, don't you?).

Anyway, I also dislike the wierd ass-contact on the aeron. We have a few at work. I honestly find I work better on a cheap little $80 office chair. It works well for me, though wears out in a year.

Anyway... yeah.

Mike Swieton
Saturday, June 28, 2003

I'm not sure why I forgot to include the last paragraph:

I'm interested to hear other people's stories in the chair finding realm - good, bad, other. I'm especially interested to know if anyone else has used the Mirra for longer than 20 minutes, and can comment on how happy they are with it longer term.

Tim Sullivan
Saturday, June 28, 2003

Doesn't the Aeron come in three different sizes? Did you try the largest size? This might have alleviated your problem.

tom
Saturday, June 28, 2003

I own the Aeron (in the largest size) for about two and a half years down.  Never had any grab-ass problems, but I can tell you that the mesh that constitutes the seat and back stretches over time so that the chair is no longer as comfortable.  It feels like you're sitting in a pit.  For the price I wouldn't get another. 

Ken Klose
Saturday, June 28, 2003

I've sat in an Aeron for the last two or three years - what is this ass-contact of which you speak?  I'm not sure I have experienced it, could someone describe it?

Konrad
Saturday, June 28, 2003

It happens right as you're writing the $800 check for a chair - it'll feel like a deep probing sensation in your hindquarters...

[g,d,r]

Philo

Philo
Saturday, June 28, 2003

I discovered a "mesh" office chair through the Staples online store that is bar-none the most comfortable chair I've ever sat/worked in, for $100:  http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=456359
It has excellent back supports, both at the lumbar and shoulder blade levels, and the mesh material makes it very breathable and cool in warmer environments.

The oldest one I have is two years this summer, and has taken quite a beating (I'm 6'3", currently 235 lbs.).  About the only thing the chair lacks is adjustable armrests, although they're at the perfect height for both me and a friend of mine who's 5'9".

Chas
Saturday, June 28, 2003

For the record, it was the C chair I was sitting in. Basically, when I sat back, I was no longer resting my weight on the mesh, but on something hard below it.

As for the mesh stretching, it does seem to be covered by their 12-year warrantee that covers all aspects of the chair, so if yours has stretched, you probably want to call them and get it fixed.

It's funny - I never noticed how hot my seat got until I started looking for a better chair. :-)

Tim Sullivan
Sunday, June 29, 2003

+1 for being goosed. I'm not small, either, built similarly to you, and it happened to me in a C chair.

Also, let me warn you: sit fully on the seat. Sometime in the last decade I've gotten in the habit of "half-sitting" on the front-half of the seat of my chair. Not even sure why it's become a habit (although I do move around a lot, so maybe that's why). The Aeron seat is absolutely not designed for this, because the entire support for the seat is in the back (unlike most chairs, which have support in the middle), so you'll snap the plastic in no-time flat. :(

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, June 29, 2003

I am in the progess of buying a Mirra (over Aeron because of price, adjustable lumber support), can someone provide info before I swipe my card on them?

Elmo
Wednesday, February 18, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home