Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Anyone tried C# Builder?

I'm curious how it compares to VS.Net.

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 27, 2003

Philo,

Didn't it just start shipping on 6/26?  If so, it would be kind of hard to give an honest evaluation. 

This may or may not help, but here's a link to a C#Builder site with some screen shots.

http://www.csharpbuilder.info/

Cletus
Friday, June 27, 2003

Oh really? I've had a flyer for it on my desk for two weeks - figured it had been out at least a month...

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 27, 2003

Programers Paradise is listing the ship date as 7/26/03. (7/14/03 for the personal edition.)

Rob Eickmann
Saturday, June 28, 2003

Based on that link, I don't see the fuss. The IDE looks nearly identical to VS.NET, and the list of features doesn't appear to contain a single substantial feature that VS.NET doesn't already have.

Anon. Coward
Saturday, June 28, 2003

"Based on that link, I don't see the fuss. "

Coward,

I beg to differ.  Since you haven't seen the product, your statement is not based on any facts.  I think if you want more in-depth information on C# Builder you should go directly to the Borland website.

http://www.borland.com/csharpbuilder/

Courage
Saturday, June 28, 2003

In terms of features I really think that VS.net is better.
But well there can be a very important difference.
If it is a native app (the C# Builder), it is probably written in Delphi.
Or it can be written in C#. If it is, then it will be something like cross platform IDE once the Mono and eventually other implementations of .net for different platforms start working.

Boris Yankov
Sunday, June 29, 2003

The one thing I use the VS.NET IDE for is Intellisense. If somebody came out with a C# editor (doesn't even need to be an IDE, as far as I'm concerned) that supported high quality Intellisense plus refactoring support, I'd switch in a heart-beat.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Sunday, June 29, 2003

Automatic refactoring would be sweet. Add either makefile or NAnt support instead of those proprietary VS solutions, and I'll switch too. Intellisense is truly the one killer feature of VS.NET... the rest is just about passable.

Chris Nahr
Sunday, June 29, 2003

The integration with SQL server is really nice too.
The WYSIWYG of ASP.Net pages is starting to fulfill the promises of FrontPhage, but it's still got issues.

But there's still room for improvement - it'll be interesting to see how C# Builder compares. My worst fear is that it will be a complement to VS.Net, so that it makes sense to do some things in one and other things in the other.

Philo

Philo
Sunday, June 29, 2003

I'm going to stick with VS.NET 2003, as I love doing the SQL Server stuff and ASP.NET all in one IDE.

Two issues with VS.NET 2003 though:

1) On saving a stored procedure the cursor position gets screwed up. This is especially annoying when you have the window "split". It used to work perfectly in VS6.

2) It'd be nice to be able to set permissions on stored procedures, etc from within the IDE, so it wasn't necessary to fire up Enterprise Manager.

Apart from those two (minor) issues, I'm very happy with the VS.NET 2003 IDE and would recommend it to anyone.

Steve Jones (UK)
Monday, June 30, 2003

www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx is an open source IDE.

DanP
Monday, June 30, 2003

Steve - when editing stored procedures in the IDE in VS.Net, do you get real errors now? Or still just the "Errors Occurred" dialog?

That's the main reason I don't write SP's in VS.Net.

Philo

Philo
Monday, June 30, 2003

Borland is generally the best creater of Software Development tools.

Neil Bloh
Monday, June 30, 2003

Borland is usually the best crater of software tools.

Clutch Cargo
Tuesday, July 01, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home