Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Data warehousing resources

Hi All,

It's me once again seeking help to spot resources
I don't know whether I have gone too dumb or Google is acting funny, I am simply not able to find good online resources/tutorials which can explain me BASICS of data warehousing. Whatever search results I got are just crap.

But then I thought the better way to ask JOS users who will _directly_ point me to some good resources on the web + recommend books for the same?

Thanks for your time!
Regards,
JD

JD
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Step 1:
Define what the goal is. "Data warehousing" is not a goal.
Sample goals:
- Executive Analysis
- Trend Analysis
- Archiving
etc.

Philo

Philo
Thursday, June 26, 2003

And once you've got your goals, then check out the chapter on data warehousing by Greenspun:

http://philip.greenspun.com/sql/data-warehousing.html

It's quite down and dirty but it sounds like what you need - it goes into detail about how physically you'd achieve creating a dimensional model on an oracle database.  Check out the books by Ralph Kimball - business-wise there's 'The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit', and his first one had a simpler title.  I may not be remembering the title properly, but amazon should help.

Konrad
Thursday, June 26, 2003

search google for star schema , olap, oltp.

Thursday, June 26, 2003

Philo,

I am looking for resources which teaches me Data warehousing basics.

I want to know what is 'FACT'? What is a dimension? How you decide upon dimensions? What are measures?

What is data-mart and why do we need it? etc. etc.

Preferably, I would like a resource which explains these terms by means of EXAMPLE. It makes things very clear to me!

and Konrad, Thanks for the link, I shall check it out!

Regards,
JD

JD
Friday, June 27, 2003

Also check out:

http://www.ralphkimball.com/html/articlesfolder/DWarchitecture.html

Lots of interesting articles there.

Phillip J. Eby
Friday, June 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home