Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Thrill of the day...

I just went and looked at the website for a company I worked at in 2000 - they have an online demo of their web offerings.
Looking through the demo, I can still see code I wrote in place, which means they're still using my database schema.

Made my day!

Philo

Philo
Thursday, June 26, 2003

That's always a nice feeling!

John Topley (www.johntopley.com)
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Mine's still up, and my bet it will be for at least four years :-)

Leonardo Herrera
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Our code could out-live us.

The Real PC
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Some code I wrote in 1990 is still in use in new shrink wrap products being put out by the company I worked for (and the still call to ask a question once in two years or so!).

It's a gzip-like compressor, slightly less capable. But it works very well, and they've got tons of data in that format.

It isn't broke, so no one's fixing it.

He-who-would-not-be-named
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Some code does get used for quite some time.  My current project is developing a system which will replace code that I developed about 10 years ago and was in use up to the time of the replacement.

A couple of years ago I got a phone call from someone asking about the build procedure for some software I had written about 15 years previously and which was still in use.

mackinac
Thursday, June 26, 2003

One of the first big programs I wrote, almost 15 years go, was a DOS-based construction estimating system. The company no longer exists but apparently some old-timers got so attached to it that they have taken it with them to their new jobs! I wonder how the sysadmins are dealing with a program that only prints to locally-attached Epson dot-matrix printers? :0)

Nate Silva
Thursday, June 26, 2003

I worked for an environmental engineering company as a contracter about 2 years ago. 

The project manager had me write a customized project management app and soil sample tracking program.  As it turned out, management wasn't actually on board and nixed implementation of most of the app because "they could do it on spreadsheets".  I had to fight to get 50% of what I was owed.  I was young and wrote off the experience as "stupid tax", but it was quite humbling at the time.

Got a call from them a week ago for me to come out and help implement the rest of the application.  Their business grown to the point where the spreadsheets were too big and too numerous.  They finally agreed that it was the right thing for the business.

Vindication is like fine wine:  it gets better with age!

J.P.

P.S. They even agreed to pay up for what they owed me!

J.P. Rhea
Friday, June 27, 2003

J.P.

You're going to work for the crooks a second time?  I may be too synical but NFW would I get involved.

Our team of programmer
Saturday, June 28, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home