Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Book Suggestions - Building ASP.NET apps with C#?

The time has come that I must abandon the ways of ASP 3.0 and embrace all that is ASP.NET.

I've already been doing a little work in C#.  But I have not yet built .asp pages with C#.  So my questions to you is:

What book do you recommend for building .asp pages with C#?

Norrick
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I think Dino Esposito's Building Web Solutions with ASP.Net and ADO.Net would be a good introductory walkthrough.

Just be advised - most of the beginner's stuff about the ASP.Net datagrid treat it as a bound control, and there are better ways to do things. But walk before you run...

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I second anything that Dino Esposito writes.

There are soo many books on ASP.net.I have made the mistake of buying too many of them - starting with the dreadful  ASP+ preview or something by Wrox. At the end of the day, the only way I managed to actually learn enougn about it to become commercially proficient was to jump in and code.  Infact, the only 2 books in .Net that really turned light bulbs on in my head are Essential .Net (Box) and Essential ASP.Net (Onion) - but those are reasonably advanced. Definitely recommended reading after a couple of months of progress made elsewhere.

MattOffSoftware
Thursday, June 26, 2003

Yeah, the problem is that ASP.Net is such a huge ocean to "just jump into" - that's why I suggested Dino's book, since it's a nice quiet walkthrough on datagrids and repeaters that will hopefully have you sniffing around dark corners in no time. :-)

Philo

Philo
Thursday, June 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home