Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Does programming makes you think that you....

Title cannot exceed 50 words so here it is:

Does  good programming and lengthy sessions with computer to learn more programming makes you think that you are smarter?

It did.. Indeed for me, Ah.. It's still doing.

Programmers have world of their own. If they don't know about programming, how much well they would know of real world? At least upto the level they should care.
I think applying sharper mind to the real-world can make programmer's position much better than current average is in the real-world

easy
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

huh?

wassup
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

"I think applying sharper mind to the real-world can make programmer's position much better than current average is in the real-world"

If we bothered to do that then we wouldn't be programmers anymore...

If I used my brain to solve real world problems then I would be an entrepreneur, politician or other successful person :)

<g> but Im not, Im just a geek what loves telling computers what to do..

I guess what Im trying to say is that if I really cared about things like programmers position in the real-world then I prolly wouldn't be a programmer, because programmers dont care about their position in the real-world they care about programming...

..or something like that..

FullNameRequired
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

"Programmers have world of their own. If they don't know about programming, how much well they would know of real world"

Yes, grasshopper, that is correct. Walk on rice paper, do not leave footprint. Rice paper is real world.

And, who the hell is Liz Phair?

Realist
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Hell yes...

The wife keeps coming to me with problems, and I reply with solutions. I then get told to shut up. Something to do with "I only wanted to you to listen..." Ah if only my clients expected the same.

Raddy Echt
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

I try to use logic to understand politics and human nature. This causes me endless confusion because people are not often governed by logic.
But I think I have started to figure out some of the reasons. For example: Once a person is recognized to be smart, lets say Einstein, then people are likely to accept what he says as true, whether it's true or logical or not.
In other words, the world runs more on personality than on logic. This makes sense because there isn't time to evaluate the truth and logic of everything people say.

I started doing this long before I started programming, so I don't know if it's related.

I also try to optimize my life, make it as efficient as possible. I don't know if everyone does that.

The Real PC
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

People also think you're smarter if you don't say much. I guess they think that anything you do say must be important, else you wouldn't have said it.

I think programming taught me to break difficult things down into easier chunks. It's made me more confident about picking up a book called (for example) "a history of western political thought". Maybe over many years, I will be smarter as a result.

Daniel
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Programming helped me develop a tolerance for boring reading. This is invaluable in many aspects of life.

The Real PC
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Learning mathematics and programming in school and on my own has really made me smarter.

It was quite an effort, but it was worth it, and I don't regret one minute of it.

After spending a few years employed as a programmer, I opened my own software development company, and had to do a lot of marketing and business stuff.

Also, now people come to me for solutions to various life's problems, and acknowledge that the advice I give them is many times very good.

It was very hard to develop these skills, but the fact that I already had a trained mind (in programming and maths) helped me a lot.

Programming is very different from business and life problem solving.

If you take a programming or math-like approach to life problems, or to business problems, you will most probably fail, and fail in a very miserable and painful way.

However, if you are willing to work very hard to understand business, people and life in general, the fact that you already have a trained mind will help you quite a bit.

I also read a lot of self-help, psychology and business books. The problem is, 90% of the information in such books is useless junk.

The rest of 10% can be very valuable, but you have to be patient and read the boring stuff, also.

John K.
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

"Smart" can be defined and interpreted in different ways.  Some people may not "know" much but they can come up with elegant solutions to problems, while others are very "book" smart but when it comes to solving problems that they are unprepared for, they are unable to come up with solutions.  Some people are a mix of both. 

As for getting "smarter", just exercising your brain regularly allows for your brain to "grow" and in turn increases the ability for it to solve increasingly more complex problems.  If you are a programmer and you seek out complex problems to solve (instead of just reading the latest programming book while not trying to understand the material) and try to solve them, it becomes easier to do the same as you solve more problems.  As a practice, I believe that all programmers (no matter what level of experience) should know how to do basic algorithms (reverse a string in-place, reverse a single linked-list, find a string within a string).

Phil
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

finding a string within a string is basic?

Let's have a vote.

Basic 1
Not basic 1

Rick Tang
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Haha, programming makes you think you're smart? You must not be doing anything because it makes me look stupid constantly.

Real programmers know who the master is. And it isn't the one staring at the screen like a monkey. Yes you monkey. Look away! I bet you can't!

trollbooth
Thursday, June 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home