Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Bullfighter

Hi Guys,

Deloitte Touche has a new Word and PowerPoint add-in called Bullfighter that scans documents for bogus jargon and buzz words: http://www.dc.com/insights/bullfighter/index.asp

I thought this was pretty funny. I sure know a few co-workers and former bosses that could use it. It seems pretty ironic coming from a consulting company, although I know nothing of them other than that they are pretty big.

--Josh

JWA
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=51560&ixReplies=17

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

"It seems pretty ironic coming from a consulting company..."

Yup. Imo, the world would be a better place if this firm bankrupt along with the rest of the Big 5.

One Programmer's Opinion
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Drat!

JWA
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Not yet, they still owe me money!

Realist
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

So has anyone run DT's web site through Bullfighter?

Bruce Perry
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

See also this article, regarding the ridiculous marketing language used by companies:

http://www.darwinmag.com/read/080100/contact_content.html

Here's an excerpt:

======================

Or they write statements of "vision" that aren't just empty, they're self-reflectively, tautologically empty, such as this one from Dell:

"It's the way we do business. It's the way we interact with the community. It's the way we interpret the world around us—our customers' needs, the future of technology and the global business climate. Whatever changes the future may bring, our vision—Dell Vision—will be our guiding force."

Our vision is to have vision? We've gone past vision all the way to metavision? Oh, please! Does any human being ever talk this way?

Now consider this mission statement:

"People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)...is dedicated to establishing and protecting the rights of all animals. PETA operates under the simple principle that animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment."

Clear, straightforward. Why, you could practically imagine a human being saying these words! PETA's passion is visible in the directness of its language. Or this from Ben and Jerry's mission statement:

"To make, distribute and sell the finest-quality all-natural ice cream and related products in a wide variety of innovative flavors made from Vermont dairy products."

Jeez, they flat out say they make ice cream...not "frozen confectionery consumables to enhance the global dessert and entertainment food lifestyle" or some other self-inflating codswallop.

======================

Alex Chernavsky
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

<Oh, please! Does any human being ever talk this way? >

Of course. For myself, my goal is to be proactively forward looking, forever questing myself for new challenges and impacting the environment around me through unnecessarily transitivisication of as many verbed nouns as is possible within the bounds of my strategic thoroughfare going forward.

Tom
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

When I suggested at Camel that the vision statement for the case management system should be effectively "To help the law enforcement officers to do their jobs" management looked at me like I was an alien.

Philo

Philo
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

If you downloaded the bullfighter, might I suggest that you order copies of the CD. Several of them. (free)

Comes in a little red booklet. Very nice. Has more background on how readability of documents is calculated.

Makes a great present.

tapiwa
Friday, June 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home