Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Graduate School - Language Design

I just finished up my BS in Computer Science and am having trouble finding work just like everyone else.  I'm thinking about graduate school more seriously now (hopefully not too late).  I'm trying to find information on what areas of study are available at which universities, but the indirect approach (google) is lacking. 

I'm looking for schools that would offer the chance for me to do research on programming language design and anything related to that subject.  Any schools jump out in your minds?  Thanks much in advance.

Jobless Joe
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Be advised that an MSCS will not help your job search one iota.

Philo

Philo
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Call me crazy, but "language design" doesn't seem to be hot market for getting a job.

How about databases? or networking?  Think about it, a great majority of companies NEED a database and a network.  Talk about wide playing field.

Better yet.  The best way to find a job is through contacts.  Consider getting an MBA.  You can hide from the realworld in school, find some contacts, and learn about business.

--
ee

eclectic_echidna
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

The best way might be to call up your old professors, find out who in the dept. did that sort of thing, and ask them which schools are "hot" in that field.

Or just e-mail, most profs would be more likely to e-mail you back than call back.

Andy
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

DO an MS if you are interested in research, jobs have more to do with supply & demand than degress.

Prakash S
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Graduate school is a great idea - for later. Before that, I would really beg you to keep trying to get a job, then apply to graduate school after you've had about two years' experience.

I expect you want to throttle me for saying that, because if you could get a job you wouldn't be asking the question - but in all honesty, I would really really urge you to keep at the job search and don't give up until you've tried absolutely everything. I would stand by this advice even if your ultimate goal were to become an academic.

The best of luck, and you have my sympathies.

Fernanda Stickpot
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home