Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

does programming make you dumber?

I program interactive apps that tie together cell phones and servers. Most of what I do is java or C++ on the handheld. Lately after coming home from work my brain feels like total mush. I was a maths major and used to be able to whip through hairy math problems and now can barely balance my checkbook. Is this just the onset of aging, or is my career as a programmer partly to blame?

sluggy
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

It's probably that you aren't exercising those parts of your brain.  Neither calculating skills nor higher-level math problem solving come in to play with most programming problems, especially when you consider that programming is over a discrete set and math tends to be over a continuous set.  So as long as you can still solve problems, I think your math knowlege just isn't being used more than anything else.

Oh, and make sure that you are eating a balanced diet distributed over the day (at least 3 square meals) and are getting enough sleep.  A general mushy-head where you can't think straight in general is usually caused by that.  If you can't think straight about anything, you might consider paying a visit to the doc.

Flamebait Sr.
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

This reminds me of a problem we had the other day.

I went with my friend to the bike store so she could buy a new bike. My girlfriend is buying her old bike.

Once she bought the new bike, we had 3 bikes at the bike shop, but only two people.

The bike store was closing in a half an hour, and she lived around 20 short blocks away. She has a car at her place that will accept 1 bike in the trunk.

How would you get the new bike to her apartment and the old bike to my girlfriend's apartment?

This is a really simple problem with no right answer, but watching her debate with herself about what to do was hilarious. She just quit her programming job at a Fortune 500 company to become a teacher, so she's by no means a dumb person.

Does programming make you any smarter?

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

"Does programming make you any smarter? "

that's probably a better question to ask. in my case, I don't think so.

sluggy
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Get them to deliver the bike.

Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Easy:

She rides her new bike back home, gets the car, returns to the bike store, picks up the girlfriend's bike that the 3rd person (you) had been watching.  Then she delivers that bike to the girlfriend. 

That leaves you at the bike store with your bike, so just ride it home you lazy bastard.

Mister Fancypants
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

I fail to see the problem.

One person can easily move two bikes.

Ride one, tow the second (one hand in the centre of the handle bars).

If the road is too rough then you have to ride one and balance the other on your shoulder (tend to get your clothes dirty).

If you are completely uncoordinated walk towing two bikes.

Anonymous Coward
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

You can ride a bike with another on your shoulder? Then you sir could defiantly kick the crap out of me. :)

Marc
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

"I was a maths major and used to be able to whip through hairy math problems and now can barely balance my checkbook. Is this just the onset of aging, or is my career as a programmer partly to blame?"

I dunno sluggy, I'm a maths major too, and I could never balance the chequebook even before I started programming. I think ones head does fill with shit as one keeps developing software, and we need the occasional garbage collection of the brain.

Realist
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Depends on the think/implement ratio.

sammy
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home