Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SSL Support in Apps - common solutions?

Hello -

I need to embed an SSH (Telnet over SSL on port 22) client in an application. I am curious - what do commercial and freeware vendors wind up using for SSL support when they don't want to take up a secondary line of business consisting of dicking with other people's endlessly twiddled broken open source?

Example - I use PuTTY for SSH... a VERY small (<300K) application, and doesn't have a ball of mud of DLLs encrusted around it. And it supports SSH very well.

I am developing in Delphi. The Indy library, with its incessant core code changes and broken demos, is hideously time consuming to get a handle on, especially for SSL based applications... I can't believe that the developer of PuTTY went through all this open source crap to put SSL support in his app.

Thanks in advance!

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Gad, I'm an idiot. The source code for PuTTY is available. Downloading it now.

Maybe Joel should delete this topic before a legion of open source advocates track me down and beat me with a shovel...

Bored Bystander
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Please set up a webcam for that...

And post the link.

Mister Fancypants
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

... the question is - is the shovel an open source shovel or a proprietary shovel? Can you compile the shovel on your own, and does the shovel maker have a monopoly on the shovel? Not to mention whether or not we can get ubiased opinions about the shovel, and whether or not the customer has the right to change the shovel at the last minute.

These are very complex questions and they need to be answered.

--

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" - Ford Prefect, HHGG

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

LMAO :)

shiggins
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

SSL != SSH, BTW.

Flamebait Sr.
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Don't understand exactly what you're doing -- and you may have the problem solved by now anyway -- but StrSecII is a reasonably priced component library in Delphi that you may be able to "plug in" to get an SSL connection:

http://www.streamsec.com/

Herbert Sitz
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

IP*Works! from /n software does both  - www.nsoftware.com

Gent Hito
Thursday, June 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home