Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Dealing with Burnout -- II

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my plea for help.  I've received a lot of encouragement and good ideas.  Here are a few specific comments and responses.

"In my experience, sometimes burnout results from just taking too much on yourself. "

I'm certainly guilty of this.  I either assume I can do it all, assume I _have to_ do it all, or assume I can do it all in less time than it actually takes.  The end result is much of the time I'm going full throttle with afterburners lit.  I'm learning how not to do that, and it's starting to pay off.

"Try taking up a hobby.  Those who do often find that they get energy from their hobby, which gives them the energy to direct into their day job."

This is one of several comments suggesting I do things for myself outside work that are fun, energizing, relaxing, etc. I thought of that one on my own, but it's good to have feedback I'm doing the "right thing" there.

A special thanks to those who described their own burnout-and-recovery.

I'll keep plugging away, and maybe in a few months I'll post a "part III" followup.

BurnedOut
Monday, June 23, 2003

If you post III - you have a much bigger problem on your hands.

Prakash S
Monday, June 23, 2003

Burned,

I'd be interested how it works out for you. Not sure what Prakash means there - sounds like maybe he's having a bad day.

X. J. Scott
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

My Hobby is trying to set up
a company after my full time job

Havin a Hobby did not work for me ...
I'm still burned out ;-)

Snacky
Thursday, June 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home