Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

ask for salary increase?

Here;s the situation:
I'm leader of the team (5 person), with more experience
yet  my salary is no. 2 lowest
when I came I didn't know the salary standard in the company- I know it now. And performance-wise I think I did a good job.

I want to have salary increase in the middle of the year - normally the salary increase is only once at January, but there are some special case when the increase can be performed mid-year.

Can anybody suggest the most effective way to ask for do this?

heaton
Monday, June 23, 2003

Go into your bosses office and ask for more money?

Mr Jack
Monday, June 23, 2003

I've done this in the past.

Some common sense points:

1) Just because the company has some timetable for salary increases doesn't mean you can't ask for more money anytime.

2) Don't ask for more money because others in your group are being paid more. Ask for more money because you think you deserve it.

In fact, knowing how much money your co-workers make can get you fired in some environments.

3) When you talk to your boss, make sure you have your homework done. Be prepared to prove you've gone above and beyond and deserve more money.

4) While you're preparing, ask yourself what you're going to do if they say "no". It's their perogative. Personally, I dislike ultimatums but if you're really dissatisfied then you may have to consider this. The problem with ultimatums is if they call your bluff.

DingBat
Monday, June 23, 2003

Don't fall into the trap of assuming that because you are the team leader you are the most valuable member of the team. If the people 'under' you have more experience, or more relevant technical knowledge or specific skills, they may be worth more to the company than you. It's far from uncommon for a team leader to be paid less than other team members.

David Clayworth
Monday, June 23, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home