Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Marc, I am willing to help you out

I am referring to your recent "Finding People" thread here.

I started a new thread because I would like this thread to focus on helping you find viable job candidates for your open position.

Question 1: How are you currently advertising (local newspaper, job boards, word-of-mouth, etc.) for this open position?

If you posted a help wanted job ad in one of the local Boston newspapers could you post this ad here on this forum (to keep it anon as possible please remove all info about your company) so that I could read it?

Question 2: What are the minimum qualifications you are looking for in a job candidate?

The following is what I think they currently are:

* Must live in the Boston residental area (i.e. only local candidates will be considered).

* The ideal candidate will have 2-3 years of prior paid desktop application programming experience using Microsoft software tools and programming languages (i.e. C++ or VB).

* Must have some type of prior exposer (school or self-study is acceptable) to Visual Studio .NET (the IDE) as well as VB.NET and/or C#.

* Prior commercial software (shrink-wrap) experience is desired but not required.

* The ideal candidate will have prior paid programming experience (writing queries and stored procs) with Microsoft SQL Server. Database administration experience desired but not required.

* Good communication skills are required.  This position requires some personal (face-to-face) contact with our customers.

* Recent college graduates that have some exposer to VS.NET are eligible to apply.

I will stop here and let you respond to what I have written so far.

One Programmer's Opinion
Sunday, June 22, 2003

Wow. Can I cut & paste that for me add? :)
You nailed exactly what my requirements are!

You want to know the funny thing? Joel is yet again saving my butt.

I've got several resumes from my posting here and each of them looks fantastic. Not one of them was off the mark and I'm sure I'll interview each of them. I've also identified someone I think could do some contract work for us in the future.

This is all fantastic if you ask me.

Marc
Sunday, June 22, 2003

Eventually want ads are going to say "Must be a JoS reader"

www.MarkTAW.com
Monday, June 23, 2003

I know several people who ask if a candidate reads Joel or others like him (Peopleware for example).

So I think you may be right.

Marc
Monday, June 23, 2003

But does the interviewer consider it a good thing or a bad thing if the candidate has read Peopleware (or JOS)?

Peopleware is a bit subversive.  It promotes the notion that work places don't have to be as oppressive as most are in order to be productive.  It is a rare company that would want to hire someone with those kind of ideas.

mackinac
Monday, June 23, 2003

Glad to here that you feel that you are finally seeing the appropriate job candidates applying for the open position.

I would still like to know how/where you advertised the open position. When I am looking for work, I send my resume to anything that looks interesting or where I am at least a partial match (35% or better). I am sure the first batch of resumes you received were from people similar to myself who simply apply to any job that looks doable, isn't going to be unbearable, and allows you to put nice food on the table.

---  Not what most employers want to here  ---
The way I look at it is sending a potential employer my resume via email or filling out an online job application costs me nothing except my time. If the job looks like a good match or the work looks like something I really want to do, I send my resume via snail mail and hope for the best. I call this the lazy person's way of looking for work and my guess is 98% of all job seekers do the exact thing that I do.

Please let us know how things turn out for you.

One Programmer's Opinion
Monday, June 23, 2003

Well, from what I've found, good developers read about their subject. I think asking them if they've seen something like this site is a fair question, actually.

They might not read JoS necessarily, but I've met three people I respect independently who've all read and enjoyed Don Norman's "The Design Of Everyday Things". Coincidence? Similarly, several good VB developers I've met have enjoyed the humour in Bruce McKinney's "Hardcore Visual Basic".

A standard question I ask in interviews (whether on the giving end or the receiving end) is what good software / IT books has the other party read.

Better Than Being Unemployed...
Friday, June 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home