Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Where do you eat lunch?

Earlier in the team building thread, we touched on going out for drinks and free food, but it seems to me that the simple, common, task of eating lunch says more about a team than any contrived exercise.

So where do you eat lunch, and who do you eat lunch with?

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, June 20, 2003

I need personal space during lunch.  I'll go out to eat by myself or go park somewhere and take a nap.

When we have company or department lunch meetings, it doesn't fill my need for "away time".

I like my coworkers quite a bit and would enjoy eating lunch with them, but it still feels like working.

Anyone else feel that way or just needs to break their day apart with some personal space?

Bill Carlson
Friday, June 20, 2003

At my desk, by myself, or, with friends who work in a different department.

I'm guessing that says something about how much I like the other developers we've got currently. ;-)

anonymous just in case
Friday, June 20, 2003

...yet you're presuming that you're avoiding them, when it could be them that's avoid you...

anonymizer
Friday, June 20, 2003

I second Bill's assertion that hanging out with coworkers can often feel like working, even if you like them a lot.

My friend and I who work for the same company and carpool together recently started a rule whereas we are not allowed to talk about work in the car.  Since we are not getting paid during our commute, why should we think about work?

Joel sort of touched on this before when he wrote about that "third place" that everybody needs which isn't work and isn't home.  Sometimes, it's hard to achieve that when hanging out with coworkers outside of work...

Tim Lara
Friday, June 20, 2003

As far as possible from the office. The threat of being mugged is a small price to pay.

Basil Brush
Friday, June 20, 2003

Depends on how much of a hurry I am in.

Often, I eat lunch while driving my car between jobs. If I am finished eating, then I will start to make phone calls. So, I can drive across the town, make phone calls and eat lunch in 22 minutes flat.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com
http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Albert D. Kallal
Friday, June 20, 2003

Upstairs in the kitchen. Often with the Mrs, if she's around.

Ahhh, you gotta love working from home...

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 20, 2003

sitting on a beanbag, often in the sun just inside some glass sliding doors...

...occasionally leads into what I like to call a 'powernap' (but my mrs calls 'lazy bastard nap'..

Ill second the joys of working from home :)

FullNameRequired
Friday, June 20, 2003

I hate to gloat, but +1 for working from home. I eat anywhere I damn well please. :)

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Friday, June 20, 2003

A lot of examples of what's wrong with today's society... or should I say the competitive capitalistic America.  What ever happened to a slower pace to life, it's like we live in a time warp where if we don't find and make the next big thing and make more, better and faster than the competitor we're nothing (Which is ironically true).  Get rid of all communication device and ability.  Hire the pony express again...  Of course I don't have the solution either.

Big Donny
Friday, June 20, 2003

So I shouldn't eat in the kitchen?

Philo

Philo
Friday, June 20, 2003

I work from home and still go out for lunch. I find working from home to be great but incredibly isolating. So I go out to eat just too see other humans.

Working from home is great, but being with other people has its advantages as well.

Marc
Friday, June 20, 2003

I've usually lunched with my co-workers. Either a few times a week, or every day, depending on how much I like my co-workers. The longer I'm at a job, the more frequently I lunch with people, and the more people I lunch with.

Otherwise, it's at my cubicle, surfing the web. If I've got friends in the area, I'll lunch with them, or maybe go to Barnes & Noble to try to figure out which of the 463 items in my Amazon wish list I want to read next.

This definately speaks to a Third Place (not work, not home), and lunch is one of the few times of day we can go somewhere and hang out with our friends. The other being after work, and on weekends.

Actually, when I lunched with my coworkers every day, where to have lunch became a bit of a game. We'd have a few nearby places we'd cycle through, and the occasional far place that we'd go to and take a long lunch for.

At my last job, there were a few galleries in the area, but I never took advantage of them, and I regret it now. Maybe I'll organize a little outing with some of my old co-workers.

www.MarkTAW.com
Saturday, June 21, 2003

A mixture - with co-workers and with friends in the company but from other teams/depts and with friends who have nothing to do with computers - beleive me these are the people who take the tension out of the really bad days !!! and of course the solitary lunch one in a while.
I feel that keeping away form co-workers consistantly is not healthy and may cause alienation

kim
Saturday, June 21, 2003

I HATE talking about work issues  while  eating lunch at work. For God's sake, we devote huge  chunks of our lives to the  job -- let's at least relax for a bit

You know, I find this happens when I sit at a  table with a manager. I guess  there's nothing else to talk about with them. :)

Chi Lambda
Saturday, June 21, 2003

i drive home, have a few peanut butter sandwiches, and watch "The Price is Right"

apw
Saturday, June 21, 2003

I go to the gym at lunch.

There is almost nobody else there, don't have to think
in the slightest for an hour if I don't want to and the exercise leaves me refreshed to work in the afternoon.

Troy English
Monday, June 23, 2003

I eat lunch with the same set of friends every day, all of whom work with me (one in my group, the other two in different groups). Occasionally, someone else from work will come to lunch with us, but mostly its just us.

Eating with 3 other people from work, we often spend lunch talking about work -- but I just count that as half time towards my time for the week, since I AM doing work (and, in at least one case recently, the discussion we had was critical in letting me accomplish a particular task in much less than the expected time).

I have in the past occasionally eaten by myself, and while its okay, I enjoy getting to sit around and just kvetch or talk or what have you during lunch. I would definitely miss it.

Steven C.
Monday, June 23, 2003

at my desk.

Smelly food has been banned on the top floor (executive suites), but it is still kosher (no pun intended) on ours.

I eat when I am hungry, so I can't be asked to make a big deal of the event. What do I eat?? Pretty much anything with flesh.

tapiwa
Tuesday, June 24, 2003

Lunch for me is usually a break FROM my coworkers, not WITH them. And I go early ~11AM so I never have to wait for a seat and get quick service. That way I can eat at my leisure and spend some quality time with my own head.

Sometimes I just go for a long walk.

Lunch with the gang is great on occasion. They usually like to go at peak lunch time and it takes at least an hour and a half.

fool for python
Friday, June 27, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home